POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : MDL format specification? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:55:31 EDT (-0400)
  MDL format specification? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Warp
Subject: MDL format specification?
Date: 2 May 2002 20:12:53
Message: <3cd1d605@news.povray.org>
Where could I find a detailed specification of the MDL file format used
by Moray?

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: MDL format specification?
Date: 3 May 2002 04:49:49
Message: <0lj4ducck6r42gf5dt01g75jm3895mea7i@4ax.com>
Hi Warp, you recently wrote in moray.win:

>   Where could I find a detailed specification of the MDL file format used
> by Moray?
You can't. It's a binary format and it's at version 78 (or so) and
it's just not worth keeping the documentation up to date for it. It's
basically a dump of the C++ data structures in their hierarchy, so
everytime something is adapted, the stream changes... I didn't to a
chunk-based format, so it's tough to parse.

May I ask why you asked? One of the reasons why we did the Plugin SDK
is so that one could get everything in and out of Moray without having
to read or write MDL files.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 May 2002 11:04:46
Message: <3cd2a70e$1@news.povray.org>
> May I ask why you asked? One of the reasons why we did the Plugin SDK
> is so that one could get everything in and out of Moray without having
> to read or write MDL files.

I think I know Warp's answer: To read MDL files on non-Windows platforms!
;-)

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas Lake
Date: 4 May 2002 21:43:34
Message: <3cd48e46@news.povray.org>
> I think I know Warp's answer: To read MDL files on non-Windows platforms!
> ;-)

I would be more interested in it because it would mean anyone with
programming/scripting capabilities could produce/import/export/read and
write MDL files, you wouldn't have to lean C++ and MFC programming like you
do now to utilize plug-ins.

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 5 May 2002 05:53:50
Message: <m60aduo9odu341qnkbf399297aodnlopcq@4ax.com>
Hi Thomas Lake, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I would be more interested in it because it would mean anyone with
> programming/scripting capabilities could produce/import/export/read and
> write MDL files ...
No, I don't think that's neccessarily true :-)  The format is pretty
much a dump of the C++ data structure, so it's a pain to read if you
have a different structure.

>, you wouldn't have to lean C++ and MFC programming like you
> do now to utilize plug-ins.
Not to nitpick or anything, but the Plugin Interface is actually pure
C. You don't have to use C++ or MFC.
I just provide a C++ wrapper and MFC support so that it's a lot less
tedious and easier to write.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas Lake
Date: 5 May 2002 07:03:04
Message: <3cd51168@news.povray.org>
> > I would be more interested in it because it would mean anyone with
> > programming/scripting capabilities could produce/import/export/read and
> > write MDL files ...
> No, I don't think that's neccessarily true :-)  The format is pretty
> much a dump of the C++ data structure, so it's a pain to read if you
> have a different structure.

Oh well in that case your right.

> >, you wouldn't have to lean C++ and MFC programming like you
> > do now to utilize plug-ins.
> Not to nitpick or anything, but the Plugin Interface is actually pure
> C. You don't have to use C++ or MFC.
> I just provide a C++ wrapper and MFC support so that it's a lot less
> tedious and easier to write.

Good to know you don't need to know MFC but just beginning to learn
programming here in Java so the fact that you don't need to know C++ and
only C doesn't help me a lot:-)