POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : In hopes of seeing Moray 3.5;-) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:50:12 EDT (-0400)
  In hopes of seeing Moray 3.5;-) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Thomas Lake
Subject: In hopes of seeing Moray 3.5;-)
Date: 8 Sep 2001 21:21:40
Message: <3b9ac424@news.povray.org>
I know, I know there aren't any official plans to release another version
any time soon. So please don't take this the wrong way. These are just some
feature suggestions for whenever the next version will come out.

The first is the ability to use Pov-Ray's left handed system, this needent
mean changing Moray's default to a left handed system, if you won't want to.
At least have an option of exporting to it.

The second is the removal of the 0 to 1 restrictions on all slider bars. You
could still have restrictions on some of the bars in which certain values
are disallowed by Pov and cause errors but for things such as RGB sliders
and the various finish and normal settings it can be annoying to be stuck
with this. This is especially evident in scenes using Radiocity where you
frequently require ambient light sources greater than 1.

A third request, and this one might be more controversial, is the
replacement of Moray's native UDO format with a standardized 3D format. This
coupled with Morays wonderful new OpenGL support should allow users to see
and position imported objects with much greater ease. It should also allow
the importation of objects from many more sources.

The fourth one is a long requested feature, that of an internal blob editor,
perhaps similar to Warps (I believe it was Warp?) plugin suggestion, or even
one similar to the current editors.

Another idea is the ability to "undock" the object browser. The object
browser is a great feature which I don't use enough because it means loosing
at least one of my viewing planes.

Although the new CSG addition method is a big improvement I think it would
be faster to be able to select multiple objects and add them in one step, in
the case of union. Or the ability to mark the order you want to add objects
and then add them with the press of 1 button, in the case of difference and
intersection.

How about the ability to select multiple objects at once, this would at
least make deleting faster, if not some other functions.

You will notice I'm not requesting the addition of any Pov-Ray features, I
have every confidence that others will post these requests in spades. Just
my 2 cents on how the Moray experience could be made even more intuitive and
friendly.

Post a reply to this message

"Thomas Lake" <tla### [at] homecom> wrote in message
> I know, I know there aren't any official plans to release another version
> any time soon. So please don't take this the wrong way. These are just
some
> feature suggestions for whenever the next version will come out.

I posted this a while back, but I think presets for rendering settings (ala
POV-Ray) would be handy, that way everything could be done in Moray, without
having to switch to POV.

-Ian