POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Glowing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:44 EDT (-0400)
  Glowing (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jens Kleen
Subject: Glowing
Date: 17 Jan 2000 15:34:15
Message: <38837cc7@news.povray.org>
Hi there

Is there any possibilitie to create a great looking glowing effect?

Thanx

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: Re: Glowing
Date: 17 Jan 2000 15:51:40
Message: <388380D9.11975049@student.kuleuven.ac.be>
In plain Moray/POV-Ray it's not very easy (but possible, using
media).  But if you use a paint-program, like Paint Shop Pro, you can
add glows like this:

Render your image twice: once just the image, once with everything
black except the object that needs to glow (make it rgb 1 ambient 1
and remove the light_sources).
(I assume you use PSP5) Open both images.
Make a mask of the b/w-picture and save it to alpha-channel.
In the other image: make a new lighten-layer (or how is it called, a
layer that never removes a color, only adds color?) and paint it with
the color you want the object to glow.
Load the mask from the b/w-image-alpha-channel you just created (into
the new layer, of course).
You should have a glow around the object now.

It's not a very fast technique, but I'm sure it can be automized.
After all, you only push some buttons.

ZK

Jens Kleen wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Is there any possibilitie to create a great looking glowing effect?
>
> Thanx

Post a reply to this message