POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : HeightFields Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  HeightFields (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: HeightFields
Date: 5 Nov 1999 18:09:28
Message: <382363CD.2A3A9F40@pacbell.net>
Takis Paktitis wrote:

> This is the tga file I am trying to use.
> Thanks again and please be gentle with me if all this is caused only because
> I am a newbie

The tga file contains ho height data because it has only one color - black.
With HF's you need to understand how they work when you are designing the
image to make terrain with it. Black = no height and white = maximum height.
For example if you go into a paint program and put white lettering on a
black background then render it the white lettering will become a raised
text object. If you put black lettering on a white background you will
end up with a raised background when you render it with the letters sunken
into the surface.

There is a great discussion on height fields at this site that you should
read for detailed info on the subject:

http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/hf.htm

P.S. Please cancel your last post - the one with the attached image.
This is a non binaries group and images should not be posted here.

Thanks,