POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Castle in m.b. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:38 EDT (-0400)
  Castle in m.b. (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Castle in m.b.
Date: 21 Oct 1999 13:59:04
Message: <38102b4a.18417603@194.174.214.110>
Hi Krystian,

> I'd like to invite everyone to tour my castle and
> take a look around.. I haven't moved in yet, so
> there's not much for furniture. Let me know if you
> have any home improvement ideas!
I took a look at the castle and have one suggestion that might help
you keep building time down a bit.

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like the Tower objects and the
Bastion are similar. You made two copies of the Tower (named Tower1
and Tower2) but did not use the Reference function in the Duplicate
dialog (if you used the Duplicate dialog). This is an ideal situation
where the Reference copy would be better, since any changes you make
to the original tower will automagically appear in the other copies.
The scene will also be a lot less memory-intensive for POV-Ray
rendering (which may become an issue once you start putting in
furniture<g>).

If the four corner contructions (tower+bastion) are the same, I'd
suggest modelling one and making three reference copies.

One other thing I noticed is that you are assigning textures to groups
and the same texture to their children. This is unnecessary, you need
only assign them to the parent object.

Reference copies might also be a good idea for the TorchXX objects. If
you decide to change the way the torches look, you'll need to edit all
(it looks like) 75 of them! If you made on torch and then made
reference copies, it would be an easy matter of editing the one master
torch only.
WARNING: I just tested this with Moray 3.1 and this will actually not
work, since the lights are then incorrectly exported. I will fix this
for V3.2, though so for then this would be a valid modelling
method<g>.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray