POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Bowling Pin Surface and Texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Bowling Pin Surface and Texture (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Tim Hutcheson
Subject: Re: Bowling Pin Surface and Texture
Date: 16 May 1999 19:30:34
Message: <373f470a.0@news.povray.org>
Thanks, I've bookmarked your links.  I'm in the process of experimenting
with image and maps for colors, logos and bumps now.

--
Tim Hutcheson
w4l### [at] bellsouthnet

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> Tim Hutcheson wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the tips, Rick.  I'm going to try to add the red stripe this
> > morning and a logo of some sort.  Don't know the best way even to add
the
> > stripe.  Is this an sPatch, Moray or Povray problem?  I mean I could add
> > cylindrical band as a separate object (as a patch) or section the pin,
in
> > sPatch, and color that in Moray.  But that will add surface anomalies.
Or I
> [...]
>
>   There currently are no books in print on Pov-Ray unfortunatly. A better
> bet would be a visit to my links page and head towards the online
tutorials
> section of the page. There you will find a wide variety of tutorials on
many
> different pov related subjects and they cover from plain white wrapper
newbie
> all the way to some of the more advanced subjects.
>
> > Obviously there are easy and direct approaches to this but it isn't
clear
> > how to paint detail on an object as opposed to coloring and texturing an
> > object, which is straight forward.  When I lathed the bowling pin, I was
> > trying to create a toy problem to learn the right approaches to the
general
> > cases that arise.  How would you proceed, other than to just have at it
and
> > spend hours fiddling?
> >
> > Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
> > --
> > Tim Hutcheson
> > w4l### [at] bellsouthnet
>
>  As far as texturing the pins I would not hesitate for a second to
> consider using image maps for this. While you could easily add one
> red stripe to each pin it gets more difficult to add logos to each
> pin with just proceedural texturing alone. I would definatly advise
> against breaking up your object unless you just dig doing things the
> difficult way. I am attaching a teeny little image to the bottom or
> this reply in hopes I don't get burned for posting an image into a
> non binaries group. Anyway the image gives you a reasonable idea of
> what you could create in a paint program and then use it as a image
> map for the colors and even blemishes on the pins.
>
> An example code for applying it would be:
>
> object { Bowling_Pin
>  pigment {
>   image_map { gif "PinStripe.gif" interplolate 2 mape_type 0 }
>    translate -0.5 scale <1, 2, 1> }
> }
>
>   Or if you have your heart set on a proceedural pigment (no logo with
this
> method ) try a gradient like this:
>
> object { Bowling_Pin
>  pigment { gradient y
>   color_map {
>   [0.0 rgb <1,1,1>] // white
>   [0.6 rgb <1,1,1>] // white
>   [0.6 rgb <1,0,0>] // red
>   [0.8 rgb <1,0,0>] // red
>   [0.8 rgb <1,1,1>] // white
>   [1.0 rgb <1,1,1>] // white
>    }
>   scale <1,2,1>}
> }
>
>   With the above the scale of course will change depending on oyur object
size
> and you may need to translate it a bit to get the stripe where you need
it.
> The last example is basicaly jsut that and is not garanteed to work right
> out of the box (though I bet it is close).

----

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 May 1999 05:34:08
Message: <373FD483.7EE3A175@aol.com>
I've mistakenly called two things something else I've just realized. So if
you see this Thomas please excuse my bumbling. To correct myself: I used
'sor' not 'lathe' for the bowling pin, and I called a bicubic_patch a
bezier_patch in my email to you. I almost always make that mistake. Sorry
to be messing up wording when talking to a new POV-Ray user, hopefully
you'll see my mistakes anyway yourself.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

I am not really a new Pov-Ray user I have been using pov-ray for about 3
years. Oh did you mean Tim Hutcheson?