POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Off-topic, perhaps - but what is a Pob? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Off-topic, perhaps - but what is a Pob? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Dan
Subject: Off-topic, perhaps - but what is a Pob?
Date: 5 May 1999 21:27:19
Message: <3730E2FD.469DA9CB@earthlink.net>
Greetings,

I was looking through the 3dwin menu, and I noticed it could convert
"Pov-Ray Binaries" (Pobs).  Just what *is* a Pob?

Tia,

Dan

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Off-topic, perhaps - but what is a Pob?
Date: 5 May 1999 21:42:42
Message: <3730E4FB.750EB0D0@pacbell.net>
Dan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was looking through the 3dwin menu, and I noticed it could convert
> "Pov-Ray Binaries" (Pobs).  Just what *is* a Pob?
>
> Tia,
>
> Dan

POB -- Pov Binary file format

  It is a method of defining Pov scene files in a binary format. There
are a handfull of utilities around that can use this format. The benefits
are two fold. First the file sizes are small generaly and secondly the
data format is easier and faster to parse than the text file version.
The only working utility that I have seen that would use this format
was/is a Pov animation system, I believe written by Johannes Hubert,
and requires a patched version of pov to work with the resulting data
output.

  That is about all I know on the subject and I may be wrong on several
of my claims. I think I have it close enough you get the idea anyway.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> > I was looking through the 3dwin menu, and I noticed it could
> > convert "Pov-Ray Binaries" (Pobs).  Just what *is* a Pob?

> POB -- Pov Binary file format

This is a file format invented by Thomas Baier, the programmer of 3DWin.
But I've never seen anyone using it, except him. Is there
really another program using POBs? Interesting.

> It is a method of defining Pov scene files in a binary format. There
> are a handfull of utilities around that can use this format. The
> benefits are two fold. First the file sizes are small generaly

I doubt. I converted a less-than-100k POV file into a 1.3meg POB file!!!

> and secondly the data format is easier and faster to parse than the
> text file version.

That's certainly true.

> The only working utility that I have seen that would use this format
> was/is a Pov animation system, I believe written by Johannes Hubert,
> and requires a patched version of pov to work with the resulting data
> output.

If you really want to use POBs, you can get this patched version from
Thomas Baier's homepage (available via the moray homepage). He offers
the POB-SDK, including the patched POV-Ray version (unfortunately,
it's just 3.02) and a detailed description of the POB file. If you're
a programmer, this might be interesting.

Florian Fischer

Post a reply to this message

>The only working utility that I have seen that would use this format
>was/is a Pov animation system, I believe written by Johannes Hubert,
>and requires a patched version of pov to work with the resulting data
>output.

Yeah, but I laid that project off some time ago, due to too much other stuff
to do, so I wouldn't even call it alpha :-)

Johannes.