POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : How to include objects? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  How to include objects? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: David Byrden
Subject: How to include objects?
Date: 28 Dec 1998 14:51:27
Message: <01be329b$264c3200$1ddc7dc2@goyra>
I am planning to model a large
vehicle with many parts. I want to
keep the parts in separate files so
they don't all have to be loaded every
time I edit something. How can I include
the separate files to make a scene?

	Note: I don't want to "merge object"
because the parts themselves will need
updating, so there must be only a single
copy of each part. I can't go around the
scene hunting down copies and replacing
them with a newer version.

	Has anyone tried anything like this
or knows of any relevant tools?

					David

Post a reply to this message

From: Hendrik Knaepen
Subject: Re: How to include objects?
Date: 28 Dec 1998 19:59:54
Message: <3688298a.0@news.povray.org>
David Byrden heeft geschreven in bericht
<01be329b$264c3200$1ddc7dc2@goyra>...

> I am planning to model a large
>vehicle with many parts. I want to
>keep the parts in separate files so
>they don't all have to be loaded every
>time I edit something. How can I include
>the separate files to make a scene?
>
> Note: I don't want to "merge object"
>because the parts themselves will need
>updating, so there must be only a single
>copy of each part. I can't go around the
>scene hunting down copies and replacing
>them with a newer version.
>
> Has anyone tried anything like this
>or knows of any relevant tools?
>

> David

I think you can do this by saving the objects and then, instead of merging
the objects, just use them as include files in the scene settings (last tab)

ZK

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 29 Dec 1998 03:07:05
Message: <36888c2c.4700158@194.174.214.110>
Hi David Byrden, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> 	I am planning to model a large
> vehicle with many parts. I want to
> keep the parts in separate files so
> they don't all have to be loaded every
> time I edit something.
Moray doesn't really support this type of editing, i.e. via multiple
MDL files. Your best bet would be to work with visibility levels.

If you do work in Moray and have parts that are the same, make sure
that you use the Duplicate function and check the Reference option, so
that copied objects use references (shallow copies). Doing it this way
makes sure that changes to the master copy are propagated to all the
other copies. The Tutorial Reference Objects covers this.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray