POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.dos : Povray File Parse Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:08:09 EDT (-0400)
  Povray File Parse (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Thomas Charron
Subject: Povray File Parse
Date: 15 Jul 1998 15:37:51
Message: <35ACEE2E.723C3E5C@nermail.ups.com>
I'm curiouse if there is a program out there that will parse povray
files, and unfold loops and the such into what they'd look like if not
within macro's.  Basically, I'd like to be able to run some of my scenes
thru this, to generate the huge text files, that I can then import into
something like moray.  A prime example would be something like the
tree.inc files.  I'd like to be able to run thru a file that has like 10
of them, and have the output have the actual objects to create the
tree..

    Not quite sure if I'm making sence, but hopfully someone get's the
drift..

    Thomas Charron

Post a reply to this message

What your saying is you want the pov macros to act
like an object generating program.
Other than that I can't help you.
That would be nifty.

K.Tyler

Thomas Charron wrote:

>     I'm curiouse if there is a program out there that will parse povray
> files, and unfold loops and the such into what they'd look like if not
> within macro's.  Basically, I'd like to be able to run some of my scenes
> thru this, to generate the huge text files, that I can then import into
> something like moray.  A prime example would be something like the
> tree.inc files.  I'd like to be able to run thru a file that has like 10
> of them, and have the output have the actual objects to create the
> tree..
>
>     Not quite sure if I'm making sence, but hopfully someone get's the
> drift..
>
>     Thomas Charron

Post a reply to this message

>     I'm curiouse if there is a program out there that will parse
> povray
> files, and unfold loops and the such into what they'd look like if not
> within macro's.  Basically, I'd like to be able to run some of my
> scenes
> thru this, to generate the huge text files, that I can then import
> into
> something like moray.  A prime example would be something like the
> tree.inc files.  I'd like to be able to run thru a file that has like
> 10
> of them, and have the output have the actual objects to create the
> tree..
>
>     Not quite sure if I'm making sence, but hopfully someone get's the
> drift..
>
>     Thomas Charron

I don't quite understand your question, but it brings up another
question with me. You mention loops and the tree.inc, and, as far as I
understand you want to extract code from these loops. What would be the
advantage (sorry if I seem stupid - wait till you see my face 8=)
The reason I ask this is that I don't understand what should be better:
a loop or a heap of code. I tried tree.inc and was impressed, but I
needed another kind of tree. First I fiddled around a bit with the
declarations, but that brought me no where. Being new to POVray, but not
very new anymore with programming I just wrote me a program that
generated some weird looking random trees that were just what I needed.
Only thing is that it generated plain code, so some trees could take up
about 1Mb of code! The average tree would be 200-300Kb, but a fullgrown
'Giant of the Woods' needs much more. Obviously this takes much more
time to parse. Or not?

If anyone here is interested in a freak-tree let me know.

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message

Maybe you want to check out Thomas Baier's POB-SDK. (Find a link to his page
on the Moray Download page.)

It includes a custom made version of POV-Ray (for DOS) which reads a POV
script and outputs everything in it into a POB file (which is a binary
format). Another tool in the package can read such a POB file and generate a
POV script from it. This resulting script does not have any whiles, ifs etc.
but only declarations of the objects that were generated by the actual first
script.

Hope it helps,
Johannes.

Thomas Charron wrote in message <35ACEE2E.723C3E5C@nermail.ups.com>...
>    I'm curiouse if there is a program out there that will parse povray
>files, and unfold loops and the such into what they'd look like if not
>within macro's.  Basically, I'd like to be able to run some of my scenes
>thru this, to generate the huge text files, that I can then import into
>something like moray.  A prime example would be something like the
>tree.inc files.  I'd like to be able to run thru a file that has like 10
>of them, and have the output have the actual objects to create the
>tree..
>
>    Not quite sure if I'm making sence, but hopfully someone get's the
>drift..
>
>    Thomas Charron

Post a reply to this message

> I don't quite understand your question, but it brings up another
> question with me. You mention loops and the tree.inc, and, as far as I
> understand you want to extract code from these loops. What would be the
> advantage (sorry if I seem stupid - wait till you see my face 8=)

    Well, all's great and well, untill you want to get these objects into a
modeller.  I have yet to see a modeller that can deal with Pov Macros, so
therefore means one cannot import these objects.  Object placement by hand
is all great and good, but theres a point when it just get's two darned
complex.  In the past, I've put little cubes naming them 'Tree1', etc, doing
an extract, then going in with a text editor, but it'd be a whole lot easier
to be able to just import them into the modeller..

> The reason I ask this is that I don't understand what should be better:
> a loop or a heap of code. I tried tree.inc and was impressed, but I
> needed another kind of tree. First I fiddled around a bit with the
> declarations, but that brought me no where. Being new to POVray, but not
> very new anymore with programming I just wrote me a program that
> generated some weird looking random trees that were just what I needed.

    Exactly what I ended up doing, but I'd prefer not to have to rewite
every single include file to produce real objects instead of macros.. ;-P

> Only thing is that it generated plain code, so some trees could take up
> about 1Mb of code! The average tree would be 200-300Kb, but a fullgrown
> 'Giant of the Woods' needs much more. Obviously this takes much more
> time to parse. Or not?

    Of course, but that's why we all need bigger, moreMOREMOOORRREEE
PPPOOOWWWEEERR!!  ;-P

> If anyone here is interested in a freak-tree let me know.

    Sure, I'll trade for mine..  What did you use to do it?

        Thomas Charron

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe you want to check out Thomas Baier's POB-SDK. (Find a link to his page
> on the Moray Download page.)
>
> It includes a custom made version of POV-Ray (for DOS) which reads a POV
> script and outputs everything in it into a POB file (which is a binary
> format). Another tool in the package can read such a POB file and generate a
> POV script from it. This resulting script does not have any whiles, ifs etc.
> but only declarations of the objects that were generated by the actual first
> script.

    Hrm..  Ya, this would do it..  I'd only need to do it once, then import the
object into the modeller from the Povray script generated..  Maybee a couple of
times for random effect scripts..  Thanks for the tip!  I'll keep ya posted..

    Thomas Charron

Post a reply to this message