POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : Recompile Server Time
26 Nov 2022 03:17:13 EST (-0500)
  Recompile (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: Fredray
Subject: Recompile
Date: 6 May 2020 02:55:00
Message: <web.5eb25e74d8516ac55e31e2db0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I just learned from Lutz that the POV-Team had the rights to the Moray software
and I would like to ask you if you could do a recompile on Windows 10  to remove
the bug with the export of the code for povray 3.5 ?
I don't ask a new version with new features, just a recompile.

Do you think that it will be possible ?

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Recompile
Date: 7 May 2020 13:29:59
Message: <5eb44597$1@news.povray.org>
On 06.05.2020 08:51, Fredray wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I just learned from Lutz that the POV-Team had the rights to the Moray software
> and I would like to ask you if you could do a recompile on Windows 10  to remove
> the bug with the export of the code for povray 3.5 ?
> I don't ask a new version with new features, just a recompile.
> 
> Do you think that it will be possible ?

No, it is not possible to just compile ancient code with new compilers.

If that was so trivial, don't you think Moray would have been released 
with that support already?

Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Fredray
Subject: Re: Recompile
Date: 20 May 2020 18:40:00
Message: <web.5ec5b0a86d93b1835e31e2db0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> On 06.05.2020 08:51, Fredray wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just learned from Lutz that the POV-Team had the rights to the Moray software
> > and I would like to ask you if you could do a recompile on Windows 10  to remove
> > the bug with the export of the code for povray 3.5 ?
> > I don't ask a new version with new features, just a recompile.
> >
> > Do you think that it will be possible ?
>
> No, it is not possible to just compile ancient code with new compilers.
>
> If that was so trivial, don't you think Moray would have been released
> with that support already?
>
> Thorsten


Hi Thorsten,

I didn't know that the new compilers couldn't recompile the ancien code. I
thought the compilers would just identify the deprecated classes and that it was
easy to change, because C++ is a standard language. Lutz said me that the rights
of Moray software belong to the POV-Team, so I thought there was no problem
either. I guess the problem is pretty technical from what you say. Is Moray's
code not well commented? Maybe Lutz could give some leads, I don't know. It's a
shame to let this tool die, because it's well thought out in use.

Best Regards

Frantz


Post a reply to this message

From: Convinced
Subject: Re: Recompile
Date: 7 Nov 2022 05:55:00
Message: <web.6368e37b6d93b183183179f086ea30fe@news.povray.org>
"Fredray" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> > On 06.05.2020 08:51, Fredray wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just learned from Lutz that the POV-Team had the rights to the Moray software
> > > and I would like to ask you if you could do a recompile on Windows 10  to remove
> > > the bug with the export of the code for povray 3.5 ?
> > > I don't ask a new version with new features, just a recompile.
> > >
> > > Do you think that it will be possible ?
> >
> > No, it is not possible to just compile ancient code with new compilers.
> >
> > If that was so trivial, don't you think Moray would have been released
> > with that support already?
> >
> > Thorsten
>
>
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> I didn't know that the new compilers couldn't recompile the ancien code. I
> thought the compilers would just identify the deprecated classes and that it was
> easy to change, because C++ is a standard language. Lutz said me that the rights
> of Moray software belong to the POV-Team, so I thought there was no problem
> either. I guess the problem is pretty technical from what you say. Is Moray's
> code not well commented? Maybe Lutz could give some leads, I don't know. It's a
> shame to let this tool die, because it's well thought out in use.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Frantz

Having watched this discussion go on and on and on for years I ask myself, why
hasn't the Povteam just given the code to someone to play around with. God knows
we have been sitting on our butts for two years, progress could have been made.
I see many users volunteering but it's like getting blood out of a stone, or
does the stone have any blood left in it?
Any suggestions??


Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Subject: Re: Recompile
Date: 7 Nov 2022 07:30:00
Message: <web.6368f97f6d93b18316086ed06830a892@news.povray.org>
"Convinced" <der### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Fredray" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> > > On 06.05.2020 08:51, Fredray wrote:
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > I just learned from Lutz that the POV-Team had the rights to the Moray
software
> > > > and I would like to ask you if you could do a recompile on Windows 10  to
remove
> > > > the bug with the export of the code for povray 3.5 ?
> > > > I don't ask a new version with new features, just a recompile.
> > > >
> > > > Do you think that it will be possible ?
> > >
> > > No, it is not possible to just compile ancient code with new compilers.
> > >
> > > If that was so trivial, don't you think Moray would have been released
> > > with that support already?
> > >
> > > Thorsten
> >
> >
> > Hi Thorsten,
> >
> > I didn't know that the new compilers couldn't recompile the ancien code. I
> > thought the compilers would just identify the deprecated classes and that it was
> > easy to change, because C++ is a standard language. Lutz said me that the rights
> > of Moray software belong to the POV-Team, so I thought there was no problem
> > either. I guess the problem is pretty technical from what you say. Is Moray's
> > code not well commented? Maybe Lutz could give some leads, I don't know. It's a
> > shame to let this tool die, because it's well thought out in use.
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Frantz
>
> Having watched this discussion go on and on and on for years I ask myself, why
> hasn't the Povteam just given the code to someone to play around with. God knows
> we have been sitting on our butts for two years, progress could have been made.
> I see many users volunteering but it's like getting blood out of a stone, or
> does the stone have any blood left in it?
> Any suggestions??

People so passionate about this tool should use Moray as the basis to all the
functionality they want, and help to implement each of them in Blender's pov
addon. (it already has a Moray inspired workspace with toolbar loaded
optionally)
But no feedback is ever given to it's developers.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.