POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...American Radio Server Time
17 May 2024 05:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Old Technology...American Radio (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Renderdog
Subject: Old Technology...American Radio
Date: 22 Apr 2003 10:40:21
Message: <web.3ea5535455fc6b957ba9929f0@news.povray.org>
Wow, there's a lot going on in this image. The tubes really brought back
some old memories for me, running down to the store to test TV tubes. This
is one of the few images this round that brought out a strong nostagic
feeling for an old technology.

Some of the colors seem a bit strong, and the lighting is washed out a bit,
leaving some of the objects floating. But there's also many very good bits
of lighting and shading that look photorealistic. The tubes are excellent,
and the use of photons for the reflected/refracted light looks great. I
would have liked to read some technical descriptions of the methods used
for lighting, texturing, etc., in the description text.

The lighting seems unusually bright. After so many "too dark" images, it's
nice to see the brilliant colors, but some of the lighter objects seem to
glow a bit more than natural.

Post a reply to this message

> is one of the few images this round that brought out a strong nostagic
> feeling for an old technology.

Which I had expected to be the dominant approach.

> Some of the colors seem a bit strong, and the lighting is washed out a bit,
> leaving some of the objects floating. But there's also many very good bits
> of lighting and shading that look photorealistic.

I agree.  For some reason the overall effect doesn't square with my own
memories of such a scene.  I remember the mahogany and metal parts as
darker, more dense, somehow.

  The tubes are excellent,

There is quite a bit of clever modelling going on.

> and the use of photons for the reflected/refracted light looks great. I
> would have liked to read some technical descriptions of the methods used
> for lighting, texturing, etc., in the description text.
>
> The lighting seems unusually bright. After so many "too dark" images, it's
> nice to see the brilliant colors, but some of the lighter objects seem to
> glow a bit more than natural.

I agree.

Post a reply to this message