POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Confirmation email Server Time
19 Jun 2024 18:44:07 EDT (-0400)
  Confirmation email (Message 9 to 18 of 18)  
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: St 
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 09:06:28
Message: <468b9b54$1@news.povray.org>
"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] panoramasde> wrote in message 
news:468b64dc$1@news.povray.org...
> St. wrote:
>> "Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote in message

>>      YIKES! Damn Broadband! Well spotted Markus! They loaded so quick for 
>> me, I didn't bother looking. Ok, this will be sorted.
>>
>
> (warning: OT following ;)
>
> Nice to hear. Man, i thought i had broadband. Imagine my frustration that 
> someone has a bigger broadband than me :)

     Well, I've got a max of 8Mb's this end, but it's usually 6-7Mb's, and 
sometimes less than 5.

>
> I'm feeling inadequate.
>
> *sigh*


     Yeah, I felt like that when I was on dialup. I actually plugged my 
dialup connection back in a few weeks ago just to see what it was like 
again, and man, am I SO glad that I got BB!  :o)



>
> Gotta order me a big fat computer instead.
>
> Ooops, did that yesterday... :)

> Hope it arrives on time to be helpful for my animation... the biggest 
> scene planned has four characters in it, and "us" abstraction-impaired 
> (read: using point-clicky-mouse-thing for 3d instead of doing it properly 
> with pen, paper and slide rule ;) tend to use up all available CPU and 
> then some...

  Oh, isn't it a great feeling when it's all set up and running and all 
shiny new! You don't want to breathe on the thing, let alone touch it! :o)


> (quoted from memory and userfriendly.org : (character is playing Unreal on 
> some older machine) "Is this some kind of slideshow?" ;)

   Ooo, sounds good!

     ~Steve~


>
> -M


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 09:06:29
Message: <468b9b55@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:468b3f98@news.povray.org...

> Anyway, it's working now. :o)

   Hmm, apparently, it was *my* ISP, Tiscali, blocking the emails somewhere 
along the line.

    ~Steve~


Post a reply to this message

From: Markus Altendorff
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 10:04:17
Message: <468ba8e1@news.povray.org>
St. schrieb:
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:468b3f98@news.povray.org...
> 
>> Anyway, it's working now. :o)
> 
>    Hmm, apparently, it was *my* ISP, Tiscali, blocking the emails somewhere 
> along the line.

If it should've been sent automatically from the web server, this 
behaviour actually sounds reasonable - web servers sending mail by 
themselves usually sets off quite some alarms at hosting companies :) so 
they're often on internal block lists.

It usually works if the web server doesn't simply run the local mail 
function, but logs into a regular mail server (then again, in that case, 
the login name/pw need to be on the web server, i.e. they're potentially 
exposed to the world).

Rock and a hard place, i guess :)

-M


Post a reply to this message

From: Markus Altendorff
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 10:09:55
Message: <468baa33$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

> 
>   Oh, isn't it a great feeling when it's all set up and running and all 
> shiny new! You don't want to breathe on the thing, let alone touch it! :o)
> 
> 
>> (quoted from memory and userfriendly.org : (character is playing Unreal on 
>> some older machine) "Is this some kind of slideshow?" ;)
> 
>    Ooo, sounds good!

Oh my. I just checked. Result:

I'm quoting a webcomic strip that's over nine years old *from memory*.
I guess that makes me a certified relict.

That's the one:
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980606&mode=classic

-M


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 11:00:01
Message: <web.468bb4dc38b2745fc4e49fa40@news.povray.org>
Markus Altendorff <maa### [at] panoramasde> wrote:

> I'm quoting a webcomic strip that's over nine years old *from memory*.
> I guess that makes me a certified relict.
>
> That's the one:
> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980606&mode=classic
>

Invisible ??? :-)

Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Markus Altendorff
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 15:17:20
Message: <468bf240@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

>> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980606&mode=classic
>>
> 
> Invisible ??? :-)

Huh? If i click that link, i get a page with the comic on 
it. (and it's not something that requires login or such).

Strange...

You're not behind some company firewall or using and 
ablocker, are you? Some of these get over-zealous :)


-M


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 16:49:38
Message: <468c07e2$1@news.povray.org>
"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] panoramasde> wrote in message 
news:468baa33$1@news.povray.org...
> St. wrote:
>
>>
>>   Oh, isn't it a great feeling when it's all set up and running and all 
>> shiny new! You don't want to breathe on the thing, let alone touch it! 
>> :o)
>>
>>
>>> (quoted from memory and userfriendly.org : (character is playing Unreal 
>>> on some older machine) "Is this some kind of slideshow?" ;)
>>
>>    Ooo, sounds good!
>
> Oh my. I just checked. Result:
>
> I'm quoting a webcomic strip that's over nine years old *from memory*.
> I guess that makes me a certified relict.


LOL!  I thought you were giving a small glimpse of your animation 
storyline!!  :o)



> That's the one:
> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980606&mode=classic


      Still funny though.  :)

       ~Steve~


>
> -M


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 16:49:39
Message: <468c07e3$1@news.povray.org>
"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote in message 
news:468bf240@news.povray.org...
> Stephen wrote:
>
>>> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980606&mode=classic
>>>
>>
>> Invisible ??? :-)
>
> Huh? If i click that link, i get a page with the comic on it. (and it's 
> not something that requires login or such).

    Heh, no, it's with reference to our young friend Andrew, AKA > 
'Invisible' or 'Orchid XP v3' who is a dab-hand at all things to do with 
computers, and especially the Haskell programming language. (Oh, and 
fractals...)   ;)

     ~Steve~




>
>
> -M


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 4 Jul 2007 17:10:15
Message: <468c0cb7@news.povray.org>
"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] panoramasde> wrote in message 
news:468ba8e1@news.povray.org...
> St. schrieb:
>> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:468b3f98@news.povray.org...
>>
>>> Anyway, it's working now. :o)
>>
>>    Hmm, apparently, it was *my* ISP, Tiscali, blocking the emails 
>> somewhere along the line.
>
> If it should've been sent automatically from the web server, this 
> behaviour actually sounds reasonable - web servers sending mail by 
> themselves usually sets off quite some alarms at hosting companies :) so 
> they're often on internal block lists.
>
> It usually works if the web server doesn't simply run the local mail 
> function, but logs into a regular mail server (then again, in that case, 
> the login name/pw need to be on the web server, i.e. they're potentially 
> exposed to the world).
>
> Rock and a hard place, i guess :)

    Yes, I think so. :) Thanks for that, very informative and useful, and 
now that you mention it, I remember from some years ago a thread in a 
Tiscali forum where someone was complaining of this very situation, where 
Tiscali were blocking some domain somewhere, and the guy couldn't do what he 
wanted to do with his website!

    I think our good friend Colin (the keyboard guru!), has done some 
redirecting, so it's all good to go now.   :o)

     ~Steve~



>
> -M


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Confirmation email
Date: 5 Jul 2007 04:10:01
Message: <web.468ca66738b2745fc4e49fa40@news.povray.org>
Markus Altendorff <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
> >> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980606&mode=classic
> >>
> >
> > Invisible ??? :-)
>
> Huh? If i click that link, i get a page with the comic on
> it. (and it's not something that requires login or such).

Sorry for the confusion Markus,
 Steve is right, Andrew posts a little bit more, in off topic than he does
here. And last year (?) he was crowned as the OT mascot.
His awareness of arcane computer knowledge is legendary (at least after 2000
:-)
Sorry Invisible. (The only person I know whose name depends on the time of
day)


> Strange...
>
> You're not behind some company firewall or using and
> ablocker, are you? Some of these get over-zealous :)

I am and tell me about it :-)



Stephen


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.