POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Before and After and new website Server Time
6 May 2024 07:11:20 EDT (-0400)
  Before and After and new website (Message 43 to 52 of 62)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Before and After and new website
Date: 8 May 2007 19:05:45
Message: <46410249$1@news.povray.org>
William Tracy wrote:

> It can create realistic shadows, reflections, and global
> illumination.

These are light effects not photo effects.  You do not need a photograph
to perceive shadows, reflections and global illumination.

Meanwhile, these and other phenomena as recorded by a camera are still
only a partial "realism"  A photo is just a particular recording of
reality, a partial slice if you will.

It is quite valid to both reject photolike effects as the "gold
standard" for realism and at the same time utilize the tools provided in
a raytracer to create a personal and alternative sense of what's real.

Post a reply to this message