POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Floyd Server Time
22 Jul 2024 00:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Floyd (Message 8 to 17 of 17)  
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 2 Sep 2004 23:25:01
Message: <4137e40d$1@news.povray.org>
I caught that one too... how do you think he did the shadow?  Alpha output
from POV, GIMP generated somehow, or drawn?

Skip


Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 3 Sep 2004 00:13:03
Message: <4137ef4f$1@news.povray.org>
"Skip Talbot" <Ski### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
news:4137e40d$1@news.povray.org...
> I caught that one too... how do you think he did the shadow?  Alpha output
> from POV, GIMP generated somehow, or drawn?

I was wondering that. I guess it's drawn but it's pretty convincing.

As for "way.jpg", I'm puzzled by the fact that it's such a boring photo! Surely
if you want to convince people that a photo is actually CG you take a more
interesting photo?

-- 
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 3 Sep 2004 01:46:44
Message: <41380544$1@news.povray.org>
I would have guessed he just didn't understand the rules.  But I see he took
the time to put down that he used 3DSMAX.  Now could the building actually
be rendered?  I know the sky is definitely a photo.

Skip


Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 3 Sep 2004 02:28:04
Message: <41380ef4$1@news.povray.org>
Well, I concluded that the building could be rendered, but if it was rendered
the camera would be placed closer to it or at some more interesting angle. In
fact the only explanation I could find for the angle of the shot was that it was
taken by hand on a cheap camera. Of course that may be a *really* clever way to
make a photorealistic CG picture, but it's infinitely more likely that actually
there's no CG at all.

-- 
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

"Skip Talbot" <Ski### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
news:41380544$1@news.povray.org...
> I would have guessed he just didn't understand the rules.  But I see he took
> the time to put down that he used 3DSMAX.  Now could the building actually
> be rendered?  I know the sky is definitely a photo.
>
> Skip
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 3 Sep 2004 08:02:28
Message: <41385d54$1@news.povray.org>
Program ended abnormally on 02/09/2004 18:15, Due to a catastrophic Peter Duthie 
error:
> There are too many renderer artifacts for it to be a photograph.  Look 
> at the aliasing around the edge of the flamingo and in the waves closer 
> to the horizon.  Notice that there are no secondary ripples in the water 
> around the legs of the flamingo.  Note that the underside of the 
> flamingo doesn't appear to be lit by the reflection of the light from 
> the water.

Sounds like a photoshop job to me.  The white line on the back of the flamingo 
is either a really stunning work of the light going through its feathers or an 
ordinary cropping job.  Since, as you point out, there are other deficiencies 
with the lighting, I'm temped to go for the latter.

I hope I'm wrong though...


-- 
/*Francois Labreque*/#local a=x+y;#local b=x+a;#local c=a+b;#macro P(F//
/*    flabreque    */L)polygon{5,F,F+z,L+z,L,F pigment{rgb 9}}#end union
/*        @        */{P(0,a)P(a,b)P(b,c)P(2*a,2*b)P(2*b,b+c)P(b+c,<2,3>)
/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{orthographic location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a }


Post a reply to this message

From: Roberto Amorim
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 3 Sep 2004 09:09:44
Message: <41386d18$1@news.povray.org>
> It definetely isn't a photograph.
> A photograph would have either the sun and sky completely overexposed and
white,
> or the bird would just be a silhouette. Most likely both.
>
> But I'm sure way.jpg is a photograph.

I second that.


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 3 Sep 2004 15:06:11
Message: <4138c0a3@news.povray.org>

news:41378ee1$1@news.povray.org...
> What do you guys think about the entry, Floyd.  It looks like a photograph
> to me, and while this usually is a high praise, I think it might actually
be
> a photograph.  The water definitely looks like it could come out of
POV-Ray
> but together with the flamingo and the reflections, I have my doubts.
> Adding to my suspicions is the lack of description in the text file and no
> source.  The author claims its POV but he's going to take a hit on scoring
> simply because of the lack of explanation.  Any thoughts on this?
>

He posted this image and variations of it in the French newsgroup newsgroup
news://news.zoo-logique.org/3D.Pov-Ray. Search for a message by "Laf" posted
on August 13. He says that the flamingo is a 3DS model from a royalty-free
CD, converted with Poseray. One of the image variations shows a typical
POV-Ray bozo sky and the flamingo is seen in slightly different positions,
so there's no much doubt it's 100% POV-Ray.

G.

-- 
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com
**********************
- Graphic experiments
- POV-Ray and Poser computer images
- Posters


Post a reply to this message

From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 4 Sep 2004 16:06:29
Message: <413a2045$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks Gilles


Post a reply to this message

From: Laf
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 7 Sep 2004 05:57:01
Message: <pan.2004.09.07.09.56.58.820671@tinigrifi.com>


> What do you guys think about the entry, Floyd.  It looks like a photograph
> to me, and while this usually is a high praise, I think it might actually be
> a photograph.  The water definitely looks like it could come out of POV-Ray
> but together with the flamingo and the reflections, I have my doubts.
> Adding to my suspicions is the lack of description in the text file and no
> source.  The author claims its POV but he's going to take a hit on scoring
> simply because of the lack of explanation.  Any thoughts on this?
> 
> Skip

I'm sorry for the lack of zip file.
The image is 100% Pov-Ray.
I'll post it on povray.binaries.scene-files newsgroup asap.

-- 
Laf.
Unable to join #real_life (You're banned).


Post a reply to this message

From: emkaah
Subject: Re: Floyd
Date: 5 Oct 2004 08:37:37
Message: <41629591$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> He posted this image and variations of it in the French newsgroup newsgroup
> news://news.zoo-logique.org/3D.Pov-Ray. Search for a message by "Laf" posted
> on August 13. He says that the flamingo is a 3DS model from a royalty-free
> CD, converted with Poseray. One of the image variations shows a typical
> POV-Ray bozo sky and the flamingo is seen in slightly different positions,
> so there's no much doubt it's 100% POV-Ray.
> 
> G.
> 

But is it 100% his?

A little late, but I find this browsing the newsgroup. Nice trick with 
the cylinder and way faster then using media.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C40A69484.8040003%40hotmail.com%3E/#%3C40A69484.8040003%40hotmail.com%3E


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.