POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway Server Time
5 May 2024 14:41:12 EDT (-0400)
  TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway (Message 32 to 41 of 51)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway: Three weeks to go!
Date: 6 Aug 2012 10:55:53
Message: <501fdaf9$1@news.povray.org>
On 6-8-2012 2:40, nemesis wrote:
> BTW, why not simply a free blog?  Something like tc-rtc.blogspot.com or
> tc-rtc.wordpress.com?  Administration hurdle is minimal and can be
> shared between a few select accounts.  Image posting and polls are among
> the features, plus comment system builtin, etc.
>
> With so many cheap free solutions out there for creating and sharing
> content, I don't see the reason for bothering with a "home page".

Hmmm... an idea I need to think about... In first instance I am not very
blog-minded, but who knows...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: jhu
Subject: Re: TC_RTC July/August 2012 Challenge: Railway
Date: 6 Aug 2012 13:00:01
Message: <web.501ff7b5eb9e61ba59810e010@news.povray.org>
> On 3-8-2012 22:28, BertvdB wrote:
> > Stil now entrees, where are are all the railroadmodelers, regarding all the
> > magazines and websites aboout this topic
> >

> I was surprised too. However, see what TawnyOwl writes above. He may
> have point there about visibility.
>
> Welcome to the TC-RTC Community by the way :-)
>
> Thomas

Entries are due by 8/17. Some of us are going to use the entire time!

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 6 Aug 2012 14:03:45
Message: <50200701$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/08/2012 5:58 PM, jhu wrote:
>> On 3-8-2012 22:28, BertvdB wrote:
>>> Stil now entrees, where are are all the railroadmodelers, regarding all the
>>> magazines and websites aboout this topic
>>>

>> I was surprised too. However, see what TawnyOwl writes above. He may
>> have point there about visibility.
>>
>> Welcome to the TC-RTC Community by the way :-)
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Entries are due by 8/17. Some of us are going to use the entire time!

LOL That is midnight GMT on the 17th which is 1 a.m. BST on the 1st of
September. But I wouldn't cut it that fine, myself.

Good luck and welcome. :-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 6 Aug 2012 14:05:00
Message: <web.502006543e782435ebb90cbd0@news.povray.org>
> On 6-8-2012 2:40, nemesis wrote:
> > BTW, why not simply a free blog?  Something like tc-rtc.blogspot.com or
> > tc-rtc.wordpress.com?  Administration hurdle is minimal and can be
> > shared between a few select accounts.  Image posting and polls are among
> > the features, plus comment system builtin, etc.
> >
> > With so many cheap free solutions out there for creating and sharing
> > content, I don't see the reason for bothering with a "home page".
>
> Hmmm... an idea I need to think about... In first instance I am not very
> blog-minded, but who knows...

you could create a dummy account just to feel the hang of it.  You could have a
main blog topic about the current competition, a WIP topic to let people post
their images and a poll topic later to decide winners.

The good thing about blogs really is that administration is a breeze (you
basically do nothing besides posting new blog topics when you have to).

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 6 Aug 2012 14:36:13
Message: <50200e9d$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/08/2012 7:00 PM, nemesis wrote:
>> >Hmmm... an idea I need to think about... In first instance I am not very
>> >blog-minded, but who knows...
> you could create a dummy account just to feel the hang of it.  You could have a
> main blog topic about the current competition, a WIP topic to let people post
> their images and a poll topic later to decide winners.
>
> The good thing about blogs really is that administration is a breeze (you
> basically do nothing besides posting new blog topics when you have to).

I think that the Tena Chep forum could be used for this.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: TawnyOwl
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:15:00
Message: <web.5020169c3e78243568e623d20@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> > you could create a dummy account just to feel the hang of it.  You could have a
> > main blog topic about the current competition, a WIP topic to let people post
> > their images and a poll topic later to decide winners.
> >
> > The good thing about blogs really is that administration is a breeze (you
> > basically do nothing besides posting new blog topics when you have to).
> >

> I think that the Tena Chep forum could be used for this.
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

I admit that my experiences as a web-admin (for a very small site) are long
gone. I remember there was a way to restrain bots but I forgot about the details
completely. Since I never have used or visited a blog I have no idea about their
possibilities. Can they give us all the goodies of a "real" web site? Updating
images, voting for the next topic and can we avoid the disadvantages? Thai or
Russian girls are quite pretty, but I'm not in need of one.

Regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:15:01
Message: <web.502017523e782435352a052d0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> > you could create a dummy account just to feel the hang of it.  You could have a
> > main blog topic about the current competition, a WIP topic to let people post
> > their images and a poll topic later to decide winners.
> >
> > The good thing about blogs really is that administration is a breeze (you
> > basically do nothing besides posting new blog topics when you have to).
> >

> I think that the Tena Chep forum could be used for this.

certainly.  Aside from a text-only presentation, I'm all for forums.

Post a reply to this message

From: TawnyOwl
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:30:00
Message: <web.50201a543e782435977db18c0@news.povray.org>
Thai or
> Russian girls are quite pretty, but I'm not in need of one.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Forunately, the girls appear as adds in the forum only.

Regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:42:38
Message: <50201e2e$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/08/2012 8:26 PM, TawnyOwl wrote:
> Forunately, the girls appear as adds in the forum only.

They seem to have disappeared ATM and when they were there they were of
older ladies. o_O

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:43:54
Message: <50201e7a@news.povray.org>
On 06/08/2012 8:13 PM, nemesis wrote:
> certainly.  Aside from a text-only presentation, I'm all for forums.

You can link to image shack or the like but the spammers...

--
Regards
     Stephen