POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : IRTC site Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:31:25 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC site (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: David Buck
Subject: IRTC site
Date: 5 Mar 2011 12:35:49
Message: <4d727475$1@news.povray.org>
I understand your frustration.  Here's my perspective:

I volunteered my time for a period of about a year to re-develop the
IRTC site since nobody else was stepping up to the plate.  If I was
going to rewrite the site software, it would at least be in a language
which I like and understand well.  That's why I chose Smalltalk.  If
anyone else volunteers to take over the project and rewrite the code,
you can use any language you wish.

The project became more complicated when Chris Cason expressed the
desire to make the pages bookmarkable and google-indexable. The site was
developed in Seaside which normally puts session keys into the URLS.
Making the pages bookmarkable changed this policy and made the coding
harder.  It also meant that users browsing the site without logging in
used a new session for every page hit.

After finally making the site live and struggling to correct problems
amidst much complaining from the community, we got the software stable
except for one nagging problem. The web sessions are always set to
time-out.  In order to give people enough time to submit images without
timing out, we had to increase the timeout to 30 minutes.  But, to allow
the site to be navigable without logging in and to be bookmarkable,
every page view created a new session.  The combination of these two
factors meant that lots of hits by users who weren't logged in would
create lots of sessions and eat up lots of memory.  The application was
chewing up too much memory and was causing problems with the server.

I'm now super busy with several contracts at once and have no time to
volunteer any more to the IRTC.  On top of that, the number of
submissions had dropped to about 6 per competition which meant that
every submission won something (which is kind of meaningless).  We felt
that the lack of interest and the memory issue was too much to keep the
application running.

Now, if anyone out there wants to take it over, be my guest.  I can make
all of the Smalltalk code available to you if you wish.  You can also
re-write it in PHP or any other language you like.  I just can't spend
more time on it because I'm already too busy working on other stuff.

I tried, folks, but the rewards were too small, the effort was too high,
and the complaints from people not satisfied with the efforts we put in
were too annoying.

I'd be happy to help anyone take over, but my volunteer time on this
project is done.

David Buck

Post a reply to this message