POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Your score: Mean-0.1 * std dev Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:39:07 EDT (-0400)
  Your score: Mean-0.1 * std dev (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Your score: Mean-0.1 * std dev
Date: 21 Apr 2000 10:55:18
Message: <39006ACE.7C96B227@my-dejanews.com>
There has been talk over the years about the possibility that someone
could 'stack' the deck by voting super high for their own entries but
super low for everyone else.

I also understand that when an entrant votes, there is "no" vote entered
in for their own entry.

My sense of fairness desires that we encourage normal distributions of
scores. How about we enter into each entrant's score a value of

min(0,   mean_score_given_others- 0.1*std_dev_given_others)

The person who gives an average score to others around 13 will get a
score very close to 13.
The person who gives an average score to others around 10 will get a
score very close to 10.
The person who does the cheezy 0-for-everyone-else-but-20-for-me will
get close to 0.

Perhaps more importantly,
the person who does the cheezy 0-for-everyone-but-20-for-my-one-hero
will get close to 0.

Post a reply to this message