POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:38:40 EDT (-0400)
  Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Gautam N  Lad
Subject: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images
Date: 26 Sep 1999 16:59:24
Message: <37ee892c@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I bought a text-book for one of my college courses, and lo-and-behold, one
of my renderings (Grade One), was in the book.  I was so surprised and
happy,
considering it was the only non-winning image among other IRTC
winners/runner ups.

The book is called: Computers:
Tools for an Information Age 6th Edition by H.L. Capron
ISBN: 0-201-61211-9
http://www.prenhall.com/capron

Problem is, I was never told that my image would be appearing in the book.
Is this somehow breaking one of the IRTC rules or violating my copyrights?
All the files
included for the submission included a statement from  me regarding
permission of image/file, usage.
I have written on my homepage's gallery and in the IRTC files (.POV, .TXT,
etc.) that if
you wish to use the image, you must first contact me to get my permission.

Some of the images included in the book are (from the IRTC):

- Roger, Gary and Bob by Jeane-Marie Haerens and Fabien Mosen
- Untitled (image of Ice Cream Cone) by Nathan O'Brien (
- Gomusic by Gena Obukhov (not sure if this is from IRTC)
- Toco Toucan by Ian and Ethel MacKay
- Pocketwatch by Kevin Odhner
- Untitled (bucket of Sea Shells) by Steve Gowers (Summer theme)
- Untitled (ship image) by Nathan O'Brien (Elements theme)
- Grade One by Gautam Lad
- Untitled (plane image) by Ian Armstrong (Flight theme)
- Admiral Watch by Adrian Baumann
- Ode to Prianesi by Nathan O'Brien

My question to these artists: Did you receive any notice from the
publisher/author? If not,
do you think they violated your copyrights by using the image without your
permission?

Also, I don't plan on taking any legal action or anything; it's just that
I'd like to know (in advance)
where my work is being used.

Thanks!
Bye!

--
Gautam N. Lad
ICQ #: 7196672

Post a reply to this message

> I bought a text-book for one of my college courses, and lo-and-behold, one
> of my renderings (Grade One), was in the book.  I was so surprised and
> happy,
> considering it was the only non-winning image among other IRTC
> winners/runner ups.
>
> The book is called: Computers:
> Tools for an Information Age 6th Edition by H.L. Capron
> ISBN: 0-201-61211-9
> http://www.prenhall.com/capron
>
> Problem is, I was never told that my image would be appearing in the book.
> Is this somehow breaking one of the IRTC rules or violating my copyrights?
> All the files
> included for the submission included a statement from  me regarding
> permission of image/file, usage.
> I have written on my homepage's gallery and in the IRTC files (.POV, .TXT,
> etc.) that if
> you wish to use the image, you must first contact me to get my permission.
>
> Some of the images included in the book are (from the IRTC):
>
> - Roger, Gary and Bob by Jeane-Marie Haerens and Fabien Mosen
> - Untitled (image of Ice Cream Cone) by Nathan O'Brien (
> - Gomusic by Gena Obukhov (not sure if this is from IRTC)
> - Toco Toucan by Ian and Ethel MacKay
> - Pocketwatch by Kevin Odhner
> - Untitled (bucket of Sea Shells) by Steve Gowers (Summer theme)
> - Untitled (ship image) by Nathan O'Brien (Elements theme)
> - Grade One by Gautam Lad
> - Untitled (plane image) by Ian Armstrong (Flight theme)
> - Admiral Watch by Adrian Baumann
> - Ode to Prianesi by Nathan O'Brien
>
> My question to these artists: Did you receive any notice from the
> publisher/author? If not,
> do you think they violated your copyrights by using the image without your
> permission?
>
> Also, I don't plan on taking any legal action or anything; it's just that
> I'd like to know (in advance)
> where my work is being used.
>
> Thanks!
> Bye!

The copyright of the IRTC states clearly that the image may only the
used by the IRTC team to display them on their pages and by the sponsor
for advertising. Printing them in a book without given permission *IS* a
violation of the copyright. This is very serious and I would never have
expected this from Prentice Hall!!!

Your chances to get win a lawsuit are very good because they have
already printed it! The only fighting will be about the sum you should
get for it but with a good lawyer ...

Have you mailed this to the IRTC-l mailing list? If not you should do it
and maybe you should also post this in c.g.r.r.

All the Best,

Marc

Post a reply to this message

Was there a reason to post this in two different categories?
Someone called that spamming when it happened in another category..........

Marc Schimmler wrote:

> Gautam N. Lad wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I bought a text-book for one of my college courses, and lo-and-behold, one
> > of my renderings (Grade One), was in the book.  I was so surprised and
> > happy,
> > considering it was the only non-winning image among other IRTC
> > winners/runner ups.
> >
> > The book is called: Computers:
> > Tools for an Information Age 6th Edition by H.L. Capron
> > ISBN: 0-201-61211-9
> > http://www.prenhall.com/capron
> >
> > Problem is, I was never told that my image would be appearing in the book.
> > Is this somehow breaking one of the IRTC rules or violating my copyrights?
> > All the files
> > included for the submission included a statement from  me regarding
> > permission of image/file, usage.
> > I have written on my homepage's gallery and in the IRTC files (.POV, .TXT,
> > etc.) that if
> > you wish to use the image, you must first contact me to get my permission.
> >
> > Some of the images included in the book are (from the IRTC):
> >
> > - Roger, Gary and Bob by Jeane-Marie Haerens and Fabien Mosen
> > - Untitled (image of Ice Cream Cone) by Nathan O'Brien (
> > - Gomusic by Gena Obukhov (not sure if this is from IRTC)
> > - Toco Toucan by Ian and Ethel MacKay
> > - Pocketwatch by Kevin Odhner
> > - Untitled (bucket of Sea Shells) by Steve Gowers (Summer theme)
> > - Untitled (ship image) by Nathan O'Brien (Elements theme)
> > - Grade One by Gautam Lad
> > - Untitled (plane image) by Ian Armstrong (Flight theme)
> > - Admiral Watch by Adrian Baumann
> > - Ode to Prianesi by Nathan O'Brien
> >
> > My question to these artists: Did you receive any notice from the
> > publisher/author? If not,
> > do you think they violated your copyrights by using the image without your
> > permission?
> >
> > Also, I don't plan on taking any legal action or anything; it's just that
> > I'd like to know (in advance)
> > where my work is being used.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Bye!
> >

> The copyright of the IRTC states clearly that the image may only the
> used by the IRTC team to display them on their pages and by the sponsor
> for advertising. Printing them in a book without given permission *IS* a
> violation of the copyright. This is very serious and I would never have
> expected this from Prentice Hall!!!
>
> Your chances to get win a lawsuit are very good because they have
> already printed it! The only fighting will be about the sum you should
> get for it but with a good lawyer ...
>
> Have you mailed this to the IRTC-l mailing list? If not you should do it
> and maybe you should also post this in c.g.r.r.
>
> All the Best,
>
> Marc

Post a reply to this message

Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote in message
> Was there a reason to post this in two different categories?
> Someone called that spamming when it happened in another
category..........

See this:

[snip]

> Marc Schimmler wrote:
>

> > Have you mailed this to the IRTC-l mailing list? If not you should do it
> > and maybe you should also post this in c.g.r.r.

If you look at the dates, you'll see that the other posting (in
povray.general) is one day later, and probably in response to Marc's advice
to publish the topic somewhere else too.

So chill down man...

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

Yes, that is what I did. I only posted it to the IRTC Newsgroup, until
Marc S. suggested I post to other groups, and mailing lists.

Sorry for an inconvienience.

Bye!

--
Gautam N. Lad
ICQ #: 7196672

Johannes Hubert <jhu### [at] algonetse> wrote in message
> Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote in message
> > Was there a reason to post this in two different categories?
> > Someone called that spamming when it happened in another
> category..........
>
> See this:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Marc Schimmler wrote:
> >

> > > Have you mailed this to the IRTC-l mailing list? If not you should do
it
> > > and maybe you should also post this in c.g.r.r.
>

> If you look at the dates, you'll see that the other posting (in
> povray.general) is one day later, and probably in response to Marc's
advice
> to publish the topic somewhere else too.
>
> So chill down man...
>
> Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

It was a micro-inconvenience here. In other cases on news.povray, it was a
bloody nuisance.  On the usenet, people are trying to shut down discussion on,
for example, religion, by crossposting to dozens of irrelevant newsgroups.