POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Explosion: Thanks, and Comments on Comments Server Time
28 Mar 2024 20:02:59 EDT (-0400)
  Explosion: Thanks, and Comments on Comments (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Markus Altendorff
Subject: Explosion: Thanks, and Comments on Comments
Date: 17 Sep 2005 12:26:32
Message: <432c43b8@news.povray.org>
Hi,

anybody listening on irtc.animations any more?
Hello? *tap* *tap* Is this on?

Thanks everybody who participated in the Explosion round and
thanks to all that voted. I'm really, really happy with my
#1 badge ;) and kudos to all participants, especially to
Philippe Hovaguimian - i think this was the tightest result
between #1 and #2 i've seen so far (15.9630 vs. 15.9333 -
looks like "technical merit" was the edge).

Anyway, in a desperate try to somehow revive this newsgroup
;) i'll comment on the three (!) comments from my comments
file...

> =====
> From fcu### [at] riceedu:
> Nice.

Thank you :)

> =====
> From mar### [at] ulethca:
>
> Nice animation.  The technical aspects were great.  My only problem was
> following the story line - I found it a bit disjointed and hard to follow.
> Perhaps that is just me.

No, it's me too, and i've written it... ;) guess i've wanted
to show too much in too little time. I'll try to do better
the time after next time - i don't think i'll be able to get
something ready for SPORTS, been slacking for too long...

> =====
> From lou### [at] yahoocom:
> Excellent, I don't know who picked on your lighting. I thought it was lit very
> well.

I'm not sure about lighting. Most of my animations tend to
play in outer space or in dark places, and sometimes the
MPEG encoders seem to add an extra layer of obscurity on top
of what little brightness is there to start with. Of course,
picking an actor that already has a black/blue surface
doesn't help much...

> Your texturing and materials were first class.

Not really - look at the rooftop. There are - except for the
metal surface of the window cleaning wagon - no textures on
the roof or any other object. I originally had planned to
use photographs to create realistic textures, but ran out of
time. What helped were a) the sky dome (made from a fisheye
cloud shot i did in 1998 or somewhere), and b) the windows
that reflected that shot. One of the reasons why the camera
is tilted upwards most of the time - to avoid showing the
non-existing ground.

> Character animation was pretty good.

Thanks! Most of the facial features are made with Cinema's
PoseMixer which controls a "magnetic wire" (a spline that
acts as a mesh deformer). A set of invisible splines
represent various poses (lip sets for vocals, eyebrows
etc.), and the PoseMixer controls with sliders how much of
each target splines is mixed into the "master" deforming spline.
For the bones motions, i did forward animation instead of IK
- IK is great for "hands on objects" or "feet on ground",
but most of the movements in the animation are not
target-driven and would require setting at least extra
"magnets" to keep e.g. the elbows straight.

> I'd like a little more variety in my fireball color please, and maybe a little
billowing smoke too.

Oh yes - the fireball is a single voxel from PyroCluster,
and only after the deadline did i find solutions to two
problems in the animation:
1) Fireball color: I've made the material too "dense", and
the inner color too similar, that's why it's mostly an
orange ball...

> The shockwave effect with the windows was pretty cool with sound that would have
been sweet.

2) Wow, thanks a lot. To me, actually, the windows look like
the World Glassware Championship of synchronised jumping -
because the "explosion" algorithm does calculate the
movement based on the axis of each window. Since these
windows are cloned objects, each of them has the same base
axis settings - no variation in the movement. I've recreated
the scene with the windows as one big mesh, resulting in a
much more convincing "bang". Only problem is that i did so a
week later... ;)

As always: looking forward to seeing the videos from the
next round!

-Markus

Post a reply to this message