POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : The IRTC Animations T-shirt at zazzle. Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:43:03 EDT (-0400)
  The IRTC Animations T-shirt at zazzle. (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: gregjohn
Subject: The IRTC Animations T-shirt at zazzle.
Date: 17 Jan 2004 11:25:02
Message: <web.400960f8b3d04d4d3a5fb9ba0@news.povray.org>
Here's an idea.  I'm not sure I have the will or time to do it all, but
here's the idea:

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone who's ever posted an anims entry to IRTC.

END PRODUCT: Eventually, we have a single image which touts animation in
IRTC, with the URL displayed. It would look like a splash page for a comic
book, a movie poster, or maybe a hospital's ad.  It would have a
"character" from everyone choosing to participate.  The "characters" could
be anything you had that moved in the animation, from Tek's spaceship to
N.A.'s Microcosmic mite to Matt Giwers' 8-ball guy to Rusty to my blob guy
to the rubber duckie to one of the Dry Run guys.

HOW WE DO IT:
1) A Coordinator solicits a model sheet (just a 320x240 rendering) of your
character, with some notes of its poseability (is it a solid mesh, fully
manipulatible, etc.)
2) The Coordinator gives to the Head Artist all the model sheets.  The Head
Artist sketches up a storyboard (single frame of course) with all the
characters assembled in some interesting way.  The Head Artist then
notifies the Coordinator how each character is to be posed and lighted.
Probably with instructions: fit your character in box{A,B} with camera at
{C} and lights at D,E,and F.
3) The Coordinator tells the individual artists to make a rendering of their
figure in the way indicated.
4) The Head Artist then splices all the images together.
5) The T-shirt is then uploaded to zazzle.

WHERE IT GOES:
If it's cool enough, maybe the owner of the Reach for the Stars account at
zazzle will allow us to put it on "their account," so that sales of
T-shirts with the image will benefit the IRTC server.

I'd love for this note here to cause the project to take off.  I've got too
many things on my plate to do it "well,"  "now"  as either Coordinator, and
you don't want me to be the Head Artist.

Greg M. Johnson

Post a reply to this message

> Here's an idea.  I'm not sure I have the will or time to do it all,
> but here's the idea:
>
> END PRODUCT: Eventually, we have a single image which touts animation
> in IRTC, with the URL displayed. It would look like a splash page for
> a comic book, a movie poster, or maybe a hospital's ad.  It would have
> a "character" from everyone choosing to participate.  The "characters"
> could be anything you had that moved in the animation, from Tek's
> spaceship to N.A.'s Microcosmic mite to Matt Giwers' 8-ball guy to
> Rusty to my blob guy to the rubber duckie to one of the Dry Run guys.

Works for me.

> HOW WE DO IT:
> 1) A Coordinator solicits a model sheet (just a 320x240 rendering) of your
> character, with some notes of its poseability (is it a solid mesh, fully
> manipulatible, etc.)
> 2) The Coordinator gives to the Head Artist all the model sheets.  The Head
> Artist sketches up a storyboard (single frame of course) with all the
> characters assembled in some interesting way.  The Head Artist then
> notifies the Coordinator how each character is to be posed and lighted.
> Probably with instructions: fit your character in box{A,B} with camera at
> {C} and lights at D,E,and F.
> 3) The Coordinator tells the individual artists to make a rendering of their
> figure in the way indicated.
> 4) The Head Artist then splices all the images together.
> 5) The T-shirt is then uploaded to zazzle.

The way I see it, if the artists' instructions for their models make enough
sense, the Head Artist should be able to render everything in one scene,
which is probably simpler than patching everything together.  Assembling a
collage of different IRTC characters is a different issue.

> WHERE IT GOES:
> If it's cool enough, maybe the owner of the Reach for the Stars account at
> zazzle will allow us to put it on "their account," so that sales of
> T-shirts with the image will benefit the IRTC server.
>
> I'd love for this note here to cause the project to take off.  I've got too
> many things on my plate to do it "well,"  "now"  as either Coordinator, and
> you don't want me to be the Head Artist.

I'm game for participating.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

>The way I see it, if the artists' instructions for their models make enough
>sense, the Head Artist should be able to render everything in one scene,
>which is probably simpler than patching everything together.  Assembling a
>collage of different IRTC characters is a different issue.

Um, I guess I don't understand.  I was trying to get over the issues of
proprietary code and multitudinous rendering packages.  How could they
render everything in one scene?  I guess that your scenario would instead
be just like a photograph of a wall of a gallery, which might have less
appeal.

Just thinking out loud,
greg

Post a reply to this message

> Um, I guess I don't understand.  I was trying to get over the issues of
> proprietary code and multitudinous rendering packages.  How could they
> render everything in one scene?  I guess that your scenario would instead
> be just like a photograph of a wall of a gallery, which might have less
> appeal.

Then there would be the problem of reflections and shadows, etc, etc.
Everything kind of needs to be in a single scene.

AW

Post a reply to this message