POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : IRTC Copyright regulations Server Time
26 Apr 2024 15:37:15 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC Copyright regulations (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Ricky Reusser
Subject: IRTC Copyright regulations
Date: 15 Nov 2003 00:59:33
Message: <3fb5c0c4@news.povray.org>
Quick question:
On the IRTC webpage, it has a paragraph in the rules section outlining
exactly what you can and can't use from other people.  Any images, models,
etc. MUST be given permission for use and credit.  What about music?  If I
have a song off of a CD that I base the animation around, can I give credit
at the end, make a note in the file, and be on my way?  Is this illegal
since it's not really feasible to contact the distributer (It's public
domain music, but a copyrighted recording).  Thanks in advance (as long as
any reply doesn't negate my work so far :)  ).

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

> have a song off of a CD that I base the animation around, can I give credit
> at the end, make a note in the file, and be on my way?  Is this illegal
> since it's not really feasible to contact the distributer (It's public
> domain music, but a copyrighted recording).

If the performance of the song is copyrighted, and you're using that
performance of the song without the copyright holder's permission,
then yes, this is infringing on the copyright. It doesn't matter how
"feasible" it is to contact the copyright holder.

--
Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

Post a reply to this message

> If the performance of the song is copyrighted, and you're using that
> performance of the song without the copyright holder's permission,
> then yes, this is infringing on the copyright. It doesn't matter how
> "feasible" it is to contact the copyright holder.

Does this mean every time you see anything unofficial with a soundtrack that
gives credit at the end, it's a copyright infringement if they didn't
contact anyone about it?

Thanks for the reply anyway.  It looks like I might just have to record it
myself.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

Ricky Reusser <rre### [at] iastateedu> wrote:
> Does this mean every time you see anything unofficial with a soundtrack that
> gives credit at the end, it's a copyright infringement if they didn't
> contact anyone about it?

  You can't use copyrighted material without permission, no matter how
much you credit it.