POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Rusty's lab Server Time
16 May 2024 15:54:01 EDT (-0400)
  Rusty's lab (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Rusty's lab
Date: 2 Nov 2000 20:19:25
Message: <3a02129d@news.povray.org>
John, have you ever released any of the textures for the overall "room"
in your animations?

Not interested in tables or robots as much as exact details of lighting
and wall textures.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Rusty's lab
Date: 7 Nov 2000 10:39:17
Message: <3A082221.3F593C2A@erols.com>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> John, have you ever released any of the textures for the overall
> "room" in your animations?
>
> Not interested in tables or robots as much as exact details of
> lighting and wall textures.

In this anim I had different lights declared for each shot.  Nothing
radically different from shot to shot; however, finding one set of
lights to work for all scenes would have cost me too much in modeling
and rendering time.

The room depicted in the lab is about ten meters square.  In my
POV code I use 1 unit=1 cm, so the lab is 1000 units across.  There
is an area light at <-250,250,-250>, <250,250,-250>, <-250,250,250>,
and <250,250,250> relative to the center of the room.  They extend 50
units along their axes.  They are changed in two ways throughout the
anim:

1.  In the interior shots their intensity is set at .25.  In exterior
shots their intensity is set at .1 (or so).

2.  Area lights are simulated as arrays of individual lights.  I tilted
the lights to maximize the softness of the shadows from shot to shot,
and adjusted the array size to the lowest level consistent with
acceptable quality.

The walls are plain white, with diffuse=1 and ambient=.1 .

The exterior walls are a brick pattern; the mortar is a light tan, the
cinder blocks are gray, with a granite normal pattern.  I built some
AA into the texture so that there would be less moire-patterning.  I
also built some AA into the sign pigment so that it wouldn't look like
a bunch of flickering dots.

Hope this all helps,
John