POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : More on signature in animations : Re: More on signature in animations Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More on signature in animations
From: Lewis Sellers
Date: 5 Nov 1998 17:47:48
Message: <36422AF1.8B39D95A@usit.net>
Mike Weber wrote:

> I thought about it myself.  I think what I need to do is write a small
> Windows program that I can specify the command line, name of the files to
> annotate and indicating the start and stop numbers.  I have image001.tga
> image002.tga...image 360.tga  and shell out to DOS to have it run.

I sort of already wrote it a while ago. But having DOS pointer problems.
urggg.
A simple thing called imprint.exe. It takes a file called imprint.tga
and alphas it onto every other TGA file in your current directory that
has has the same width/height/uncompressed 24 bit format. If I have a
little more time tonight I'll see about finishing it. Or at least
posting it somewhere here to let other people more familiar with DOS
16-bit oddities have a go at debugging. :)

If it wasn't for 16-bit probs, I'd have already had her done.

This is the TGA file format btw:

/*
DATA TYPE 2:  Unmapped RGB
images.                                             |
_______________________________________________________________________________|
| Offset | Length |
Description                            |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
|    0   |     1  |  Number of Characters in Identification
Field.             |
|        |
|        |        |  This field is a one-byte unsigned integer,
specifying     |
|        |        |  the length of the Image Identification Field.  Its
value  |
|        |        |  is 0 to 255.  A value of 0 means that no
Image            |
|        |        |  Identification Field is
included.                         |
|        |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
|    1   |     1  |  Color Map
Type.                                           |
|        |
|        |        |  This field contains either 0 or 1.  0 means no
color map  |
|        |        |  is included.  1 means a color map is included, but
since  |
|        |        |  this is an unmapped image it is usually ignored.
TIPS    |
|        |        |  ( a Targa paint system ) will set the border
color        |
|        |        |  the first map color if it is
present.                     |
|        |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
|    2   |     1  |  Image Type
Code.                                          |
|        |
|        |        |  This field will always contain a binary
2.                |
|        |        |  ( That's what makes it Data Type 2
).                     |
|        |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
|    3   |     5  |  Color Map
Specification.                                  |
|        |
|        |        |  Ignored if Color Map Type is 0; otherwise,
interpreted    |
|        |        |  as
follows:                                               |
|        |
|    3   |     2  |  Color Map
Origin.                                         |
|        |        |  Integer ( lo-hi ) index of first color map
entry.         |
|        |
|    5   |     2  |  Color Map
Length.                                         |
|        |        |  Integer ( lo-hi ) count of color map
entries.             |
|        |
|    7   |     1  |  Color Map Entry
Size.                                     |
|        |        |  Number of bits in color map entry.  16 for the
Targa 16,  |
|        |        |  24 for the Targa 24, 32 for the Targa
32.                 |
|        |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
|    8   |    10  |  Image
Specification.                                      |
|        |
|    8   |     2  |  X Origin of
Image.                                        |
|        |        |  Integer ( lo-hi ) X coordinate of the lower left
corner   |
|        |        |  of the
image.                                             |
|        |
|   10   |     2  |  Y Origin of
Image.                                        |
|        |        |  Integer ( lo-hi ) Y coordinate of the lower left
corner   |
|        |        |  of the
image.                                             |
|        |
|   12   |     2  |  Width of
Image.                                           |
|        |        |  Integer ( lo-hi ) width of the image in
pixels.           |
|        |
|   14   |     2  |  Height of
Image.                                          |
|        |        |  Integer ( lo-hi ) height of the image in
pixels.          |
|        |
|   16   |     1  |  Image Pixel
Size.                                         |
|        |        |  Number of bits in a pixel.  This is 16 for Targa
16,      |
|        |        |  24 for Targa 24, and .... well, you get the
idea.         |
|        |
|   17   |     1  |  Image Descriptor
Byte.                                    |
|        |        |  Bits 3-0 - number of attribute bits associated with
each  |
|        |        |             pixel.  For the Targa 16, this would be
0 or   |
|        |        |             1.  For the Targa 24, it should be 0.
For     |
|        |        |             Targa 32, it should be
8.                      |
|        |        |  Bit 4    - reserved.  Must be set to
0.                   |
|        |        |  Bit 5    - screen origin
bit.                             |
|        |        |             0 = Origin in lower left-hand
corner.          |
|        |        |             1 = Origin in upper left-hand
corner.          |
|        |        |             Must be 0 for Truevision
images.               |
|        |        |  Bits 7-6 - Data storage interleaving
flag.                |
|        |        |             00 =
non-interleaved.                          |
|        |        |             01 = two-way (even/odd)
interleaving.          |
|        |        |             10 = four way
interleaving.                    |
|        |        |             11 =
reserved.                                 |
|        |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
|   18   | varies |  Image Identification
Field.                               |
|        |        |  Contains a free-form identification field of the
length   |
|        |        |  specified in byte 1 of the image record.  It's
usually    |
|        |        |  omitted ( length in byte 1 = 0 ), but can be up to
255    |
|        |        |  characters.  If more identification information
is        |
|        |        |  required, it can be stored after the image
data.          |
|        |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
| varies | varies |  Color map
data.                                           |
|        |
|        |        |  If the Color Map Type is 0, this field doesn't
exist.     |
|        |        |  Otherwise, just read past it to get to the
image.         |
|        |        |  The Color Map Specification describes the size of
each    |
|        |        |  entry, and the number of entries you'll have to
skip.     |
|        |        |  Each color map entry is 2, 3, or 4
bytes.                 |
|        |
|--------|--------|------------------------------------------------------------|
| varies | varies |  Image Data
Field.                                         |
|        |
|        |        |  This field specifies (width) x (height) pixels.
Each     |
|        |        |  pixel specifies an RGB color value, which is stored
as    |
|        |        |  an integral number of
bytes.                              |
|        |
|        |        |  The 2 byte entry is broken down as
follows:               |
|        |        |  ARRRRRGG GGGBBBBB, where each letter represents a
bit.    |
|        |        |  But, because of the lo-hi storage order, the first
byte   |
|        |        |  coming from the file will actually be GGGBBBBB, and
the   |
|        |        |  second will be ARRRRRGG. "A" represents an
attribute bit. |
|        |
|        |        |  The 3 byte entry contains 1 byte each of blue,
green,     |
|        |        |  and
red.                                                  |
|        |
|        |        |  The 4 byte entry contains 1 byte each of blue,
green,     |
|        |        |  red, and attribute.  For faster speed (because of
the     |
|        |        |  hardware of the Targa board itself), Targa 24
images are  |
|        |        |  sometimes stored as Targa 32
images.                      |
*/

--
Lewis A. Sellers: writer and contract Multimedia Website Developer
mailto:lse### [at] usitnet (The Fourth Millennium Foundation)

You can bug the living bejesus out of me live on ICQ @ 491461
(If I don't get back to you within a month, I'm out of prozac in some
dark corner somewhere screaming things quite unintelligable but -- most
curiously -- thick with a sumerian accent.)

"The comedy is over" -i pagliacci