POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : MegaPOVPlus 0.3 released(with glow effect) : Re: MegaPOVPlus 0.3 released(with glow effect) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 10:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOVPlus 0.3 released(with glow effect)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Sep 2000 18:53:01
Message: <chrishuff-DD0E3A.17544305092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39b57274$1@news.povray.org>, "Alan Holding"
<man### [at] freeukcom> wrote:

> Regarding the glow command, is there any chance of making the location and
> color/colour keywords optional?
> Would save my aching fingers a bit of typing.

A better syntax would be:
glow {POSITION, COLOR, AMOUNT
    type TYPE
    turbulence...
}
The example you gave would confuse POV constantly, and would require the
type to always be specified.

And this wouldn't work very well with light source glows...currently,
the location and color are optional if the glow is specified within a
light source, they take on the values of the light source. With this
syntax, the ones in front of the one being overridden will always have
to be specified.
I could make it so you can't override the position or color of a light
source glow, but I don't want to impose unnecessary limitations and
inconsistencies like that without a good reason.
I could put the amount first...but that would break tradition with the
rest of POV, which seems to always put scalars after floats. I am
reluctant to make design decisions based on typing speed...in fact, I
have considered making the amount specified by a separate keyword.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><