POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! : Re: Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it!
From: clipka
Date: 16 Nov 2011 14:44:54
Message: <4ec412b6$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi(gh)!
>
> After finally having compiled and installed PoV-Ray 3.7 for Linux, I
> still can't figure out how to tweak radiosity in a way that I get
> realistic light levels both outside and inside a building.

The secret here is that what you get /is/ realistic: Outdoor places are
usually /much/ brighter than indoor places. You just don't normally
notice, because your eyes automatically adapt to the brightness level,
while POV-Ray file output does not.

One way around this is to use OpenEXR file output, which can handle such
difference in brightness, and use some suitable image viewer/converter -
such as Lilysoft's IC - to generate standard PNG or JPG images from the
output, with brightness adjusted as needed.

Another approach is - obviously - to adjust the brightness of all the
light sources in your scene (including the sky, and any emissive
surfaces or media) depending on whether you want to show an indoor or
outdoor view.

(I'm presuming that you did your homework regarding gamma, as that's
something that might mess things up as well. You should have
assumed_gamma 1.0, and proper Display_Gamma and File_Gamma settings.)