POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Highly OT Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:29:35 EDT (-0400)
  Highly OT Re: Guidelines
From: Rob Verweij
Date: 7 Dec 2000 11:58:22
Message: <3A2FC179.111E06A3@worldonline.nl>
Creating computer graphics is one of the most computer intensive
proffesions/hobbies around and people who create and/or watch CG (especially 3D
CGI) know they need some real computing power to keep up with the developments
of it's industry, especially online. Since this NG is geared toward animations
most of it's readers probably have a reasonable World Wide Web connection and so
they have the abillity to download the latest and greatest of codecs or any
other software/driver and I strongly suggest they do because if you wanna keep
up with the rest it's best to have the latest technologies at your disposal and
currently for online animations DivX;-) can't be beat. It has super quality at a
high compression ratio and that's what we all want. If you don't want some
people to miss out on your latest and greatest animation then post them in
several different formats. Especially in 3DCGI, people preffer quality and
that's what DivX;-) delivers: High quality at a great compression ratio. Have
you ever tried to create a descent looking animation using the Cinepak codec?
Then you know what I mean when I say it's quality (well, at least most of us) we
want.
HTML-coding your NG postings is a totally different ball game.HTML-code is used
to create Webpages or enhanced E-mails and indeed could be used for sending a
HTML message to a NG but not sending them that way to a NG has to do with ethics
and not with the abillity of browsers to read them.

Oh, one more thing, it's not the OS you use it's how you use it.
If you're reffering to the OS a Mac uses that's not as stable as you think.
People who work on DEC Alpha's or SGI's and use IRIX well they still preffer to
watch quality animations instead of highly compressed animations with low
quality. (Why else would they be using the Workstations they use?).

My 2 cents,

Rob Verweij.