POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : library_path limit Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:11:28 EDT (-0400)
  library_path limit (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: jr
Subject: library_path limit
Date: 1 Jun 2023 10:20:00
Message: <web.6478a89e9494ccd6b49d80446cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

in v3.6 and older documentation, the 'Library_Path's section mentions the (then)
upper limit of 20.  I believe it's been increased to 25, but cannot find the
corresponding info in the current docs[*].  does someone have a reference,
please.

[*]
<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Scene_Parsing_Options#Library_Paths>

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> in v3.6 and older documentation, the 'Library_Path's section mentions the (then)
> upper limit of 20.  I believe it's been increased to 25, but cannot find the
> corresponding info in the current docs[*].  does someone have a reference,
> please.
>

> [*]
> <https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Scene_Parsing_Options#Library_Paths>
>

> regards, jr.

That's a good question! I checked my V3.7 docs and found nothing. So I did a
test.
I put 41 Library_Paths in an ini and ran short pov witch didn't use any of them,
with no problem. A better test would run a pov that did use them all.
I might do that, but it take some time.
Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

>> in v3.6 and older documentation, the 'Library_Path's section mentions the (then)
>> upper limit of 20.  I believe it's been increased to 25, but cannot find the
>> corresponding info in the current docs[*].  does someone have a reference,
>> please.
>>

>> [*]
>> <https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Scene_Parsing_Options#Library_Paths>
>>

>> regards, jr.
>
> That's a good question! I checked my V3.7 docs and found nothing. So I did a
> test.
> I put 41 Library_Paths in an ini and ran short pov witch didn't use any of them,
> with no problem. A better test would run a pov that did use them all.
> I might do that, but it take some time.
> Have Fun!

Faster and simpler test : Make a scene that use something from the very
last library path.

The reason is that, if you are over the limit, that path won't be
recognized as valid, and the parsing will fail with an error message.
Possible bonus : That message may also tell you what the actual limit is.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 2 Jun 2023 10:45:00
Message: <web.647a000773eed075b49d80446cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > I put 41 Library_Paths in an ini and ran short pov ...
> Faster and simpler test : Make a scene that use something from the very
> last library path.

thank you both.  did the latter, with 51 'library_path' lines in ini, no
problems with 3.8-alpha or 3.7.0.8.  good to know, still, there has to be an
"official" limit mentioned somewhere ?

("hey, A/J Holsenback", are you reading this ?  :-))

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Date: 3 Jun 2023 09:53:16
Message: <647b45cc$1@news.povray.org>
On 02.06.2023 16:43, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>> Le 2023-06-01 à 16:45, Leroy a écrit :
>>> I put 41 Library_Paths in an ini and ran short pov ...
>> Faster and simpler test : Make a scene that use something from the very
>> last library path.
>
> thank you both.  did the latter, with 51 'library_path' lines in ini, no
> problems with 3.8-alpha or 3.7.0.8.  good to know, still, there has to be an
> "official" limit mentioned somewhere ?

There is no limit other than the addressable memory. So you should be
safe up to about 2**58 path entries on a 64 bit system. I don't know how
long those would take to parse though ;-)

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Date: 3 Jun 2023 11:30:41
Message: <647b5ca1$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2023-06-03 à 09:53, Thorsten a écrit :
> On 02.06.2023 16:43, jr wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>>> Faster and simpler test : Make a scene that use something from the very
>>> last library path.
>>
>> thank you both.  did the latter, with 51 'library_path' lines in ini, no
>> problems with 3.8-alpha or 3.7.0.8.  good to know, still, there has to
>> be an
>> "official" limit mentioned somewhere ?
>

> There is no limit other than the addressable memory. So you should be
> safe up to about 2**58 path entries on a 64 bit system. I don't know how
> long those would take to parse though ;-)
>
> Thorsten

Want to access a file from the 100th library path : Look into the folder
of path 1 to find the file. Not there. Look into folder of path 2 to
find the file. Not there. Look into path 3 to find the file. Not there.
... Look into path 100 to find the file. File found !

That will take some time.

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 4 Jun 2023 12:50:00
Message: <web.647cc06c73eed075437caa8f712fc00@news.povray.org>
Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> On 02.06.2023 16:43, jr wrote:
> > hi,

> >> Faster and simpler test : Make a scene that use something from the very
> >> last library path.
> >
> > thank you both.  did the latter, with 51 'library_path' lines in ini, no
> > problems with 3.8-alpha or 3.7.0.8.  good to know, still, there has to be an
> > "official" limit mentioned somewhere ?
>

> There is no limit other than the addressable memory. So you should be
> safe up to about 2**58 path entries on a 64 bit system. I don't know how
> long those would take to parse though ;-)
>
> Thorsten

That is what I figured after I went to 97 library_paths with 61 objects and
functions.
Parse time was 7.03 sec.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 4 Jun 2023 14:10:00
Message: <web.647cd2b173eed075b49d80446cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Leroy" <whe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> > There is no limit other than the addressable memory. So you should be
> > safe up to about 2**58 path entries on a 64 bit system. I don't know how
> > long those would take to parse though ;-)

thanks.  (good to know it's "future-proof" :-))

> That is what I figured after I went to 97 library_paths with 61 objects and
> functions.
> Parse time was 7.03 sec.

97, eh ?!  you've more stamina than me.. ;-)

(my interest came from the mention in section 2.3 of the collection's
usersguide)

regards, jr.