POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Magnetic Tiles Server Time
25 Oct 2024 19:52:45 EDT (-0400)
  Magnetic Tiles (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Chris R
Subject: Magnetic Tiles
Date: 15 Oct 2024 09:05:00
Message: <web.670e67e359d42c9e3a6dfc485cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
My grandson loves to build with magnetic plastic tiles, so I decided to create a
mansion for him...

No new techniques here, other than more experimentation with the exact distance
isosurface functions.  The only light source is the sun.  Getting the radiosity
to work reasonably well took a lot of experimentation.  Finding decent settings
for the table with its bumpy surface would make the walls blotchy, so I ended up
fiddling with just about everything.  In the end, it takes less than 12 hours to
render, which is pretty quick for my scenes...

-- Chris R

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scene-v1.1-hd-mq4-20241014.png' (1703 KB)

Preview of image 'scene-v1.1-hd-mq4-20241014.png'

Le 2024-10-15 à 09:02, Chris R a écrit :
> My grandson loves to build with magnetic plastic tiles, so I decided to create a
> mansion for him...
>
> No new techniques here, other than more experimentation with the exact distance
> isosurface functions.  The only light source is the sun.  Getting the radiosity
> to work reasonably well took a lot of experimentation.  Finding decent settings
> for the table with its bumpy surface would make the walls blotchy, so I ended up
> fiddling with just about everything.  In the end, it takes less than 12 hours to
> render, which is pretty quick for my scenes...
>
> -- Chris R
Nice scene.

As for the performance.
Did you try this :
Add the «no_radiosity» attribute to the table. It still get illuminated
by the radiosity.
Make a copy of the table as simple CSG with the «no_image no_shadow
no_reflection» attributes, and a smooth surface with optionally some
normal perturbation. Make that simplified table geometry sit just bellow
the isosurface deepest points.

For the panels, using some normal perturbation should be almost
indistinguishable from an isosurface while being computationally cheaper.