POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.tutorials : Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial Server Time
3 May 2024 02:58:50 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial
Date: 18 Apr 2024 16:44:36
Message: <66218634$1@news.povray.org>
THE ISSUE

What is gamma, why should assumed_gamma be set to 1, and how should we
use the sRGB keywords introduced with POV-Ray 3.7?

In the real world, a 1,600 lumen lamp emits twice as much light as an
800 lumen lamp, and a 40% gray object reflects half as much light as an
80% gray object.  To render this reality, POV-Ray must use linear color.
 Setting global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 } accomplishes this goal, and
has been the recommended setting since POV-Ray 3.7.

The problem is that our perceptions are non-linear, and our monitors and
software often reflect that non-linearity.  Gamma is the measure of this
non-linearity.  Typically, RGB colors are specified with the non-linear
sRGB standard, so in order for them to look correct with assumed_gamma
1, they must be decoded to a linear format.  This is what the sRGB
series of keywords (srgb, srgbf, srgbt, and srgbft) does[1].

In addition, many scene files written prior to POV-Ray 3.7 failed to
specify an assumed_gamma, so the resulting image defaulted to whatever
gamma was used by the computer--usually 2.2, which is similar to sRGB.
When rendered with POV-Ray 3.7, these scenes look pale and washed out.
The quick fix is to specify global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.2 }, but
if you wish to put in the work to make the scene physically realistic,
the new keywords can help.

However, confusion often arises over the use of these keywords.

HOW TO USE THE sRGB KEYWORDS

The first thing to remember is that POV-Ray has *one* and only *one*
color format.  The srgb keyword does not create a different kind of
color than the rgb keyword; it simply interprets its argument
differently.  When you #declare a color, the resulting variable has no
memory of which keyword was used to declare it.

The second thing to remember is that the keywords in the sRGB series
decode from sRGB to linear, not the other way around!

It is also important to remember that the entire expression following
the keyword is evaluated before the conversion is applied; and that the
standard sRGB function is defined for the domain 0...1.

Here is the general sequence for usage of these keywords:

  1. Set global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 } *before* using any of the
     keywords.

  2. An sRGB triplet that comes from a color picker, eyedropper tool,
     or published Web source is typically in the range <0,0,0> ...
     <255,255,255>.  These are byte triplets.  However, POV-Ray does not
     use byte triplets; these must be divided by 255 to bring them into
     the range <0,0,0> ... <1,1,1>.  This *must* be done first thing,
     and is the *only* math that should ever be done at this stage,
     though it may be combined with step 3.  If the color is specified
     in percentages, of course you would divide by 100 instead of 255.

  3. #declare (or #local) the color with the srgb keyword.  The
     resulting identifier contains a linear color.  *If and only if* no
     additional math is required, you may skip the #declare/#local and
     use the srgb directly in a pigment or light_source.

  4. Now, do whatever additional math you need on the identifier.  You
     may do this in a pigment or light_source or wherever.

If your color is from colors.inc, then you *must* skip step 2, because
these colors are already within <0,0,0> ... <1,1,1>.  For these colors,
you should use the srgbft keyword in step 3, because they are already
declared with filter and transmit components.

If your color comes from function eval_pigment(), you must skip steps 2
*and* 3.  Such colors are already within POV-Ray's working space, and
starting with POV-Ray 3.7, this includes image maps.

EXAMPLES

Example 1: the Dutch flag.  Steps 2 & 3 are combined.  Since no
additional math is required on the colors, there is no need to declare
them as identifiers.

  pigment
  { gradient y color_map
    { [1/3 srgb <32, 71, 133> / 255] // Steps 2 & 3
      [1/3 White]
      [2/3 White]
      [2/3 srgb <170, 28, 38> / 255] // Steps 2 & 3
    }
  }

Example 2: an orange light.  Since this example doesn't use a byte
triplet, step 2 is unnecessary.

  #declare C = srgb <1, 0.5, 0>; // This must be declared separately!
                                 // (step 3)
  #declare Ld = 100;
  #declare Fd = 1;
  light_source
  { <100, 50, 0>,
    C * (1 + pow (Ld/Fd, 2)) / 2 // Step 4: math is applied to
                                 // identifier C
    fade_power 2
    fade_distance Fd
  }

EPILOGUE

Linear color applies only to the tracing phase. The output command line
options Display_Gamma and File_Gamma should remain at their default sRGB
setting. The gamma option for image maps should normally be left
unspecified.

RESOURCES

This tutorial, plus discussion links and the scene file for the image,
can be found at: https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-Gamma-sRGB

---
[1] Technically, these keywords convert an sRGB-specified color to match
whatever assumed_gamma you are using.  Using assumed_gamma 1 means they
will convert to linear.

---
Copyright (C) 2024 Richard Callwood III, CC-BY-SA 4.0.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gamma-srgb.jpg' (12 KB) Download 'gamma-srgb.pov.zip' (1 KB)

Preview of image 'gamma-srgb.jpg'
gamma-srgb.jpg