POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Better understanding of GitHub issue 377 Server Time
6 May 2024 15:50:55 EDT (-0400)
  Better understanding of GitHub issue 377 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Better understanding of GitHub issue 377
Date: 25 Jan 2024 10:49:36
Message: <65b28310$1@news.povray.org>
Better understanding of GitHub issue 377 regarding partial render
differences as compared to full renders.

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/377

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5d07acb1d24138982bedecc40%40news.povray.org%3E/

(Unable to update the thread above due corruption from server crash some
ago)

The differences highlighted in the forum post and issue above come down
to jitter values both as external settings to antialiasing(AA) and
internal random sampling (a kind of jitter too) part of method 3's AA
algorithm.

All three methods are exposed to differences on partial renders when AA
jitter is on. Method three is always exposed because internally it uses
a random number stream to generate the samples even when the
Stochastic_Seed=n / +SSn is used.

Excepting AA method 3, turning off jitter solves the full to partial
render difference issues.

---
With jitter on and always with method three the following helps reduce
the full render pixel to partial render pixel differences:

a) A smaller threshold value (and method 3 also confidence value).

b) Colors matter because the threshold difference is based on a
calculated grey equivalent.

c) The new to yuqk minimum sample depth via Antialias_Min_Depth=n ini /
+RMn settings help when >0.

d) The yuqk fork no longer use a fixed table in methods 1 and 2 when
jitter is on. This method tends to be less sensitive to partial vs full
renders, but this statement depends quite a lot on the block sizes and
ordering used on the partial rendering versus the full rendering.

e) Method 3 will always be exposed to differences on partial renders
versus full renders.

f) Method 2 (with jitter) the least exposed because of how is so
drastically shrinks the non zero jitter value on depth/+r. Yes, it's
also true the deeper the depth/+r settings with both methods 1 & 2 the
less likely partial render to full render differences will show up.

g) Related to (f) the partial to full render differences are more likely
to show up where yuqk's big jitter value is larger than 1.0.

Aside: As of writing this I'm unsure what happens with render
continuations.  If the position in the random number streams are
maintained in the state file, continuations should work without issue.
Otherwise continued renders may well show differences when compared to
renders not stopped and re-started.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 25.01.2024 16:49, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Aside: As of writing this I'm unsure what happens with render
> continuations.  If the position in the random number streams are
> maintained in the state file, continuations should work without issue.
> Otherwise continued renders may well show differences when compared to
> renders not stopped and re-started.

Using a random sampling and then always expecting the same result is a
user error, not a bug. The random effects may also depend on the thread
settings, block size settings, hardware used, etc. because they are
random. As such, clearly not a bug.

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> On 25.01.2024 16:49, William F Pokorny wrote:
>> Aside: As of writing this I'm unsure what happens with render
>> continuations.  If the position in the random number streams are
>> maintained in the state file, continuations should work without issue.
>> Otherwise continued renders may well show differences when compared to
>> renders not stopped and re-started.
>
> Using a random sampling and then always expecting the same result is a
> user error, not a bug. The random effects may also depend on the thread
> settings, block size settings, hardware used, etc. because they are
> random. As such, clearly not a bug.
>
> Thorsten

:-) True as written. I agree well enough that I closed the github issue
once I understood why the partially rendered regions where sometimes
showing differences.

We should though, avoid setting a universal impression AA jitter should
be avoided where users want repeatable render to render results. This
especially true in the very latest yuqk release where the v3.8 method 3
+ss mechanism has been extended to all three AA methods. Being able to
use a good jitter and get repeatable results is effectively a new,
desirable feature.

---
The AA / jitter reality across v3.6 -> v4.0 & my yuqk fork is
complicated over time - as I think might reasonably be user expectations.

Speaking only of anti-aliasing / jitter affected results...

With the latest yuqk release - so long as +ss is set, the render
pattern, step size and block size is held constant and we are doing full
frame renders - results are repeatable no matter the number of threads
used and no matter whether jitter is used or not (jitter of course
always on or off).

A similar statement can be made for official releases and (non-buggy)
method 3 (v3.8+) results using jitter or not. Methods 1 & 2 jitter
onward in official v3.7 onward are mostly repeatable too (jitter is
using a static table and jitter defaults on), but here the statement is
weaker as is the quality of the AA when jitter is on.

Users expecting that a partially rendered region of a frame should match
the same region when the frame is fully render isn't that much of a
stretch, if they are seeing frame to frame repeatability. The same true
for renders stopped and restarted via state files - though again, I
don't myself know what is or is not happening with continued renders
with respect to jitter / method 3(a).

Bill P.

(a) - If the continuations start after the last full block rendered in
the context of the an identically ordered (and block numbered) render
pattern, probably things work fine.