POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Suggest v4.0 ripples, waves re-work. (povr R7 v0.6.1.0) Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:57:14 EDT (-0400)
  Suggest v4.0 ripples, waves re-work. (povr R7 v0.6.1.0) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Suggest v4.0 ripples, waves re-work. (povr R7 v0.6.1.0)
Date: 18 Mar 2023 09:58:19
Message: <6415c37b$1@news.povray.org>
There are a number of issues with the current ripples and waves
patterns. For the record, there is a set of two for normal{}
perturbation and another scalar value set of two for use with functions
and maps.

I've not yet pulled the number_of_waves code, but otherwise testing is
looking pretty good. The updated ripples code is roughly 18% slower and
the waves pattern about 20% slower for 10 sources.

The basic form of both support the keywords:

ripples & waves basic (ip_ means internal to pattern)
----------------------
ip_seed <float> // Seed for point source locations.
ip_count <number of sources> // Number of sources. 2-128 currently.
ip_frequency <float>
ip_phase <float>

waves only basic (waves has always generated source weights/freq too)
---------------------
lo <float> hi <float> // re-range inv weight 0-1.1 values to...

ripples & waves extended (Use of keywords triggers the extended mode)
--------------------
ip_scale <3d vector>
ip_fade_distance <float post ip_scale> // interior exp fade

Example used for right side of attached image.
-------------------
#declare Fn00 = function { pattern {
     waves
     raw_wave // No attempt a heuristic in povr. Adj on use.
     ip_frequency 2
     ip_count 14
     ip_seed e
     lo 0.3 hi 1.0  // Left side of image didn't use this
     ip_scale <11,0.1,11>
     ip_fade_distance e
     scale <1/11,1,1/11>
}}

I spent some time re-rendering a waves based isosurface using a scene
with a seed based upon now. Results are interesting. Some very good and
some kinda ugly due where the point sources ended up. If looking around
for a good seed, remember to print it out or otherwise
save it for re-use! :-)

Plus, if thinking about, say, the surface of water, it helps quite a bit
to use ip_scale to compress / scale locations toward the plane of the
water.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rippleswavesstory.jpg' (47 KB)

Preview of image 'rippleswavesstory.jpg'
rippleswavesstory.jpg

Le 2023-03-18 à 09:58, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> There are a number of issues with the current ripples and waves
> patterns. For the record, there is a set of two for normal{}
> perturbation and another scalar value set of two for use with functions
> and maps.
>
> I've not yet pulled the number_of_waves code, but otherwise testing is
> looking pretty good. The updated ripples code is roughly 18% slower and
> the waves pattern about 20% slower for 10 sources.
>
> The basic form of both support the keywords:
>
> ripples & waves basic (ip_ means internal to pattern)
> ----------------------
> ip_seed <float> // Seed for point source locations.
> ip_count <number of sources> // Number of sources. 2-128 currently.
> ip_frequency <float>
> ip_phase <float>
>

> waves only basic (waves has always generated source weights/freq too)
> ---------------------
> lo <float> hi <float> // re-range inv weight 0-1.1 values to...
>

> ripples & waves extended (Use of keywords triggers the extended mode)
> --------------------
> ip_scale <3d vector>
> ip_fade_distance <float post ip_scale> // interior exp fade
>

> Example used for right side of attached image.
> -------------------
> #declare Fn00 = function { pattern {
>      waves
>      raw_wave // No attempt a heuristic in povr. Adj on use.
>      ip_frequency 2
>      ip_count 14
>      ip_seed e
>      lo 0.3 hi 1.0  // Left side of image didn't use this
>      ip_scale <11,0.1,11>
>      ip_fade_distance e
>      scale <1/11,1,1/11>
> }}
>
> I spent some time re-rendering a waves based isosurface using a scene
> with a seed based upon now. Results are interesting. Some very good and
> some kinda ugly due where the point sources ended up. If looking around
> for a good seed, remember to print it out or otherwise
> save it for re-use! :-)
>
> Plus, if thinking about, say, the surface of water, it helps quite a bit
> to use ip_scale to compress / scale locations toward the plane of the
> water.
>
> Bill P.

Pretty interesting improvement upon the current ripples and waves patterns.

Post a reply to this message