POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why is my POV-Ray render not matching my mesh model? : Re: Why is my POV-Ray render not matching my mesh model? Server Time
25 Oct 2024 19:53:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is my POV-Ray render not matching my mesh model?
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Oct 2024 09:55:00
Message: <web.670d22503d58ec0e91c33a706e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Harry Peverell" <har### [at] 163com> wrote:

> Could you please provide some guidance on how to apply textures to the interior
> and exterior in Povray? I'm looking forward to implementing your suggestion of
> using a dark texture with a bright interior_texture to check for flipped
> triangles and to illuminate the dark areas in the center of the render.

Like this example (in case you are not using any light sources):

object{ ...your mesh object...
// a dark texture...
texture{pigment{rgb .2} finish{ambient 1 emission 0 diffuse 0}}
                      // or   {ambient 0 emission 1 diffuse 0}}

interior_texture{pigment{rgb <1,0,0>}finish{ambient 1 emission 0 diffuse 0}}
                                     // or {ambient 0 emission 1 diffuse 0}}
                }
      }

(ambient 1 will cause a non-fatal warning message, so use emission 1 instead.)
By the way: The first or main texture is actually applied to both the inner AND
outer surfaces of the mesh object-- unless an interior_texture is added.

IF the problem with your mesh is indeed flipped normals in certain places, the
bright red interior_texture will show them. That's because the 'inside' surfaces
of those triangles are actually facing outward.

(Instead of using an interior_texture, you *could* place a red light_source
*inside* the mesh object, and the lighting on the bad triangles would show up on
the outside. I think!)