POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why is my POV-Ray render not matching my mesh model? : Re: Why is my POV-Ray render not matching my mesh model? Server Time
25 Oct 2024 19:53:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is my POV-Ray render not matching my mesh model?
From: Harry Peverell
Date: 9 Oct 2024 08:50:00
Message: <web.67067b443d58ec0e3bb2382ab1b44dfe@news.povray.org>
> "Harry Peverell" <har### [at] 163com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what might be causing this discrepancy? Any help would be much
> > appreciated!
> >
> > Harry
>
> As jr pointed out, it may be a result of surface normal "flipping".
>
> I would assign your texture to be something dark, and then add an
> interior_texture with a bright color and finish {emission 1}, then render a
> straight-down view in orthographic to see if you have any flipped triangles.
>
> You also have some dark areas near the center of the render, which is why I'm
> suggesting this specific approach.
>
> - BW
Dear Bw,

Thank you for your detailed suggestion on addressing the issue with the mesh
normals. I appreciate the guidance you've provided.

Initially, I was exporting a .ply file from Blender and converting it to a .pov
file using AccuTrans. I wasn't certain if the normals were preserved in that
conversion process. However, after converting the mesh to an .obj file using
MeshLab and then back to a .pov file with AccuTrans, the rendering errors in
Povray seemed to vanish.

Following your advice, I will now test the mesh to understand the root cause of
the issue. Since I'm working with a .ply file exported from Blender and then
converted to a .pov file, I'm not quite clear on how to assign textures to the
interior and exterior within Povray, especially since I've stripped all textures
from the original mesh in AccuTrans.

Could you please provide some guidance on how to apply textures to the interior
and exterior in Povray? I'm looking forward to implementing your suggestion of
using a dark texture with a bright interior_texture to check for flipped
triangles and to illuminate the dark areas in the center of the render.

Harry