POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Details on layered textures/materials : Re: Details on layered textures/materials Server Time
3 May 2024 05:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Details on layered textures/materials
From: Kenneth
Date: 8 Apr 2024 00:05:00
Message: <web.66136b095a55796491c33a706e066e29@news.povray.org>
> > Question to BE:
> >
> > Why has there to be at the end of the macro /twice/ an - exactly
> > identical - declaration of M_Granite? if you take out (any) one of them,
> > you get a parse error: "Cannot pass uninitialized identifier to
> > non-optional LValue."
> >
> > Otherwise, works fine indeed.
> > Thomas
>
> Now THAT is weird.

[snip]

> Makes NO sense, and it's deeply concerning, because how is anyone supposed to
> code anything if fundamental #declare statements simply don't work?

As an odd test, I ran your   granite_texture.mcr.txt   file (from one of the
earlier posts here) just by itself, no other code. As-is, it seems to run fine
when I remove one of the duplicate macro copies. I tested all three of your
attempted removal methods:
        #if(0)...
        /*...*/
        deleting the duplicate

They all work OK, and I can't seem to make it fail! So maybe the fatal error--
whatever is causing it-- is only when the code is actually *used* elsewhere? Or
possibly due to a subtle error in that scene code?