POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Details on layered textures/materials : Re: Details on layered textures/materials Server Time
3 May 2024 10:07:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Details on layered textures/materials
From: Chris R
Date: 1 Apr 2024 13:25:00
Message: <web.660aecd35a5579643a6dfc485cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>
> > There were a few other tweaks due to some parser errors that I still don't quite
> > understand, but I got it to work.
>
> Well post the errors and we'll see what we can do.
>
> Also would be nice to post what you've currently got, so others can use it as a
> texture, but also see if they can fix any problems that you've found.
>
> - BE

I will start with the parsing errors I ran into with my initial transformation.

Here is the tail end of the original DakotaRedGranite macro that declares the
material and returns it:

#declare M_DakotaRed =
material {
  interior {ior 1.6}
  #if (Pol) //polished
    #if (Typ=1)
      texture {T1_DakotaRedPol}
    #else
      texture {T1_DakotaRedPol}
      texture {T2_DakotaRedPol}
    #end  //Typ
  #else //frosted
    #if (Typ=1)
      texture {T1_DakotaRedFro}
      Crand(0.25)
    #else
      texture {T1_DakotaRedFro}
      texture {T2_DakotaRedFro}
      Crand(0.25)
    #end  //Typ
  #end  //Pol
  scale M_scale
  rotate M_rotat
  translate M_trans
} //material

M_DakotaRed

I did a test with Type=1 and Pol=off and calling the macro was successful.

Here was my first attempt at having it return just the texture part:

    #local _t_dakota_red_tmp    =
  #if (Pol) //polished
    #if (Typ=1)
      texture {T1_DakotaRedPol}
    #else
      texture {T1_DakotaRedPol}
      texture {T2_DakotaRedPol}
    #end  //Typ
  #else //frosted
    #if (Typ=1)
      texture {T1_DakotaRedFro}
/*Line 658 */  CRand(0.25) //texture { _t_crand }
    #else
      texture {T1_DakotaRedFro}
      texture {T2_DakotaRedFro}
      CRand(0.25) //texture { _t_crand }
    #end  //Typ
  #end  //Pol

    #declare T_DakotaRed    = texture {
        _t_dakota_red_tmp
          scale M_scale
          rotate M_rotat
          translate M_trans
    }
    ;

    T_DakotaRed
}

#macro DakotaRedGranite(CSC, Pol, Typ, Pat1, Pat2, Blend, SS)
    #local _m   = material {
/*Line 681*/        texture { DakotaRedGranite_texture(CSC, Pol, Typ, Pat1,
Pat2, Blend, SS) }
        interior { ior 1.6 }
    }

    _m
#end

The two step declaration of the final texture is required since there is no
other way to apply the scale/rotate/translate transformation to a layered
texture.

The error I get using the same Typ and Pol parameters is:
Line 681: Possible Parse Error: Unmatched {
Line 658: Parse Error: No matching }, undeclared identifier instead

To fix these errors in my final version, I change the CRand(Intensity) to return
a texture identifier instead of a texture, then right before the #local
_t_dakota_red_tmp line, I do:

#local _t_crand = texture { Crand(0.25) }

and then replace each of the CRand(0.25) invocations in the _t_dakota_red_tmp
declaration to texture { _t_crand } instead.

Once I do that the two parse errors go away and everything works correctly.

I have attached my version of the file as well.

-- Chris R

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'dakota_red_granite.inc.txt' (24 KB)