POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Progress on anniversary scene : Re: Progress on anniversary scene Server Time
3 May 2024 08:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Progress on anniversary scene
From: Mr
Date: 18 Mar 2024 04:55:00
Message: <web.65f800e41e38ca9316086ed06830a892@news.povray.org>
> On 2024-02-19 13:20 (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> > On 2024-02-11 11:29 (-4), Alain Martel wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe also increase the jittering of the photons. It looks like there is
> >> none.
> >
> > Jitter is turned on permanently, and as recommended in the POV-Ray
> > reference, I have not changed the default value.  (I neglected to
> > mention this in the DeskLamp user manual.)  Are you attributing the
> > discrete rainbow stripes to non-jittering?  That is most likely due to
> > imperfect anti-aliasing (interpolate 2) in the image map used to define
> > the glass '30'.
>
> I just realized I confused photons jitter with area light jitter.  But
> since I have not used the jitter keyword in the photons global_settings
> block, the default carries.  Since the same photons global settings were
> used in both images, this cannot be the problem anyway.

Hi,
First, area lights can't generate proper caustics in any renderer, the caustics
generator has be lit with a single point of emission, and excluded from others,
If soft shadows are needed the area light can probably still be used as shadow
only with some complementary exclusions and many options off.

Then, among other things, some of these will just as well be too obvious for
some advanced user as you to have forgotten about, but still, and not saying
features should be turned off, ...but may be investigated just in case...

* Did you use importance sampling?
* Did you use *any* HDR image?
* Did you use *any* fresnel outside reflection block?
* Did you use conserve_energy for all reflective materials?
* Did you use albedo keyword?
* Did you use some big light related macros like Lightsys or spectral?
* Did you use any distortion of camera such as a normal block?
* Did you use Newton thin film coating (iridescence)?
* Did you use double_illuminate?
* Did you use backside diffuse?