POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Allchin traction engine : Re: Allchin traction engine Server Time
3 May 2024 01:45:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allchin traction engine
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Mar 2024 20:50:00
Message: <web.65f78f121a42083b1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Ton" <ton### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> That looks a lot like what I have already.

Likely.  I just remembered that short thread and figured I'd mention it, if it
would help any.

> I use f_helix2(). Being a former
> software engineers I take your comments seriously about "magic", hard-coded
> numbers, so I'll avoid them. Make the code as clear as possible!

Yeah, I've suffered from not being able to easily understand my own code due to
doing that sort of thing all to often.

> Here is a sneak preview:

That looks great.  :)
If you watch machining channels like Inheritence Machining, Clickspring, or This
Old Tony, most shop-made threads are cut with dies or single-point threading
tools on a lathe.

Mass-produced threads are rolled, which interestingly enough yields better
threads since they are work-hardened.

I guess where I was going with that, is that all of those operations leave tool
marks and patterns on the surface of the metal, and you could probably make some
really nice renders of just a pile of screws if you added a radial normal
perturbation or something like that to the threads.

What you have now would probably make a good threading on nylon or Delrin type
material.

- BW