POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 : Re: Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 Server Time
1 May 2024 18:08:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Jun 2023 15:45:00
Message: <web.647e3aeccfce83799b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
> Op 5-6-2023 om 09:42 schreef Kenneth:
>
> > In effect, POV v3.5 is now just a temporary 'relay station' for getting the
> > scene out of Moray and into a more modern version of POV-ray.
> >
> That is also my conclusion. Why POV-Ray v3.5 refuses to behave correctly
> under Win10 (or Win11 for that matter) is a mystery to me. Otherwise,
> Moray seems to work correctly under both platforms.
>
> I don't know about you Kenneth, but I think I shall leave it at that
> (other priorities are piling up).

Agreed, sadly. The combination of quirks is rather cumbersome to deal with.
Although, it's nice to have at least *a* method now, to make everything work
together and to get a Moray scene to export.

> As always, It was a pleasure to do this testing in cooperation with you!

Same here!

---------
[Thomas wrote:]
> It seems that the /special/ DLL provided by Moray to communicate with
> POV-Ray, only works with version 3.5.

[Kenneth:]
> That gives me a rather crazy(?) idea for an experiment with POV-ray
> v3.7/3.8 and Windows 10 : I wonder if POV's v3.5 magical DLL(s) could
> be placed instead in the appropriate v3.7/3.8 folder location...then to
> see if Moray will recognize those DLL(s) *there*.

Well, THAT  was a silly idea. The magical DLL in question -- MorayCtrl.dll
("Moray Communications") -- is part of the Moray installation itself. I thought
it might be something that was included with POV-ray v3.5 instead.

I guess it's code would have to be re-written to work with later versions of
POV.