POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : L-Systems in Povray : Re: L-Systems in Povray Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:49:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: L-Systems in Povray
From: Droj
Date: 31 May 2023 16:20:00
Message: <web.6477aab3453cebfc1397ab13b2af915@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Droj" <803### [at] drojde> wrote:
> > "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > > We have all delved into projects where someone else's code just looks like some
> > > big pile of WTF, or worse, sat in front of the Editor unable to make the scene
> > > elements that we want, because we just don't have the necessary inbuilt tools,
> > > programming experience, or mathematical foundations to even begin making the
> > > things that we want.
>
> so true.  </sigh>
>

> > You used the word frustration which is what I feel when I find an interesting
> > macro or coding that works amazingly well but which seems to be sort of
> > unfinished or not fully developed. And I do not have the knowledge to add the
> > code that is necessary to fill in the 'gaps' I identified.
> > E.g. I like when a macro outputs a file with the 3D data used to produce the
> > image. So I added some code I copied and adapted. My goodness, it was
> > devastating and definitely frustrating. Nothing really worked.
> > I guess a tutorial would help a lot - at least it would relieve frustration -
> > maybe.
>
> just on that point, having written a "general purpose" file handling macro[*],
> part of my "frustration" is that users, apparently, "hate" giving feedback (of
> course it's possible there are no users of my code :-)).  did you contact the
> developer about the shortcomings of the documentation ?
>
> [*] <https://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Jr#SDL_code>
> (should you find any useful, please do not hesitate to report "misgivings" ;-))
>

> regards, jr.
Hi jr,

> just on that point, having written a "general purpose" file handling macro[*],
> part of my "frustration" is that users, apparently, "hate" giving feedback (of
> course it's possible there are no users of my code :-)).  did you contact the
> developer about the shortcomings of the documentation ?

No, it's not the shortcomings of the developer's documentation. I was lamenting
about my own shortcomings not being able to add some little code which outputs a
file with something like 'sphere - cylinder -'. The developer is innocent.

I did not know that you have such a 'wiki' treasure cove. At the moment I do not
use Povray 3.8 (still 3.7) but I will try your treasures when beta phase is
over.
regards, Droj