POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [feature idea] blob pattern : Re: [feature idea] blob pattern Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [feature idea] blob pattern
From: jceddy
Date: 12 Jul 2022 16:20:00
Message: <web.62cdd6fe9db63f2b864166f75d51d79c@news.povray.org>
> I simulated a "blob texture". Created a 10x10x10 virtual grid and put a random
> point in each cell. That's the centre of a "blob item", that is, I used the blob
> equation from the docs to calculate grey values. The radius is randomized
> between 0.5 and 2.5. The strength is kept at 1.0 and the threshold is not used.

Is this similar to a bunch of spherical pattern components added together?

I guess it is:

strength * pow((1 - pow((distance / radius), 2), 2)

For each defined blob component from a sample point, then added together, which
isn't exactly the same?

As it is, I think you could do this for blobs with up to 13 or 14 components
using user-defined functions, but you would need a separate function for each
number of components, or have a "component count" parameter and then have
ignored parameters off the right side.

But either way, probably not ideal.