POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : using 'object pattern' as media : Re: using 'object pattern' as media Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:46:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using 'object pattern' as media
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Apr 2022 18:10:00
Message: <web.626db3a3ac9c0ae11f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
 Oh, I get it now.

> There are two aspects of this problem that initially threw me off: The docs
> about bezier_patches repeatedly refer to 'triangles', as if the patch or model
> is converted to a smooth-triangle mesh 'under the hood'. At least, that's what I
> took to be the meaning there... which is probably a misconception on my part(?).

It converts it to smooth triangles, but not a mesh object.

One has to remember that the path through the code to the render is different
for each and every type of primitive.  They may look the same, they may be
thought of as functionally equivalent, but they are separate and distinct
things.

I've run into that fast-and-loose "they're the same in my head" issue myself:
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/message/%3C57b5bf9c%241%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C57b5bf9c%241%40new
s.povray.org%3E

So, if you read the monograph (thread), William Pokorny confirms that POV-Ray
does indeed convert the bicubic patch object into smooth triangles at some point
in the processing, but it does not get converted into a proper mesh {} object.

Which is why I knew we'd have to go about this "the manual way".

- Walker, New Hampshire Ranger