POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Jan 2022 17:05:00
Message: <web.61f467c1c1365d061f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Ah, what to do... Thoughts anyone? I'm going to have to think about this.
>
> I don't like that we are basically ignoring perturbed results to some
> degree or another - for reflections - beyond certain normal
> perturbations point.

Whoa - interesting result of your day of code forensics!

I would tend to start from scratch, and just cancel all of that extra stuff and
see what happens.   Maybe it might explain why they decided to do all of that.

I tend to learn how to approach these types of things by going out and seeing
how various people address them outside of POV-Ray - in Unity, ShaderToy,
academic papers, and other linear algebra / computer graphics / optics / math
resources like websites and video hosting sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBrAdahFtuo

I would try to make a diagram, or write a scene where you have actual objects,
and shoot rays every so often, and show the incoming ray, and then whatever
reflected rays that get generated.   Maybe iterate a color change around the HSV
wheel or something to track how far along the process you are.

Seeing the process and results usually gives far more intuitive understanding of
what the problem is and what the likely solution is, than scribbling equations
and endlessly editing lines of code.

That's my take, anyway.