POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fluorapophyllite-(K) : Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K) Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:00:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K)
From: Samuel B
Date: 26 Oct 2021 19:10:00
Message: <web.61788a934f1e127bcb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> Continuing Sam's investigations on crystal shapes and materials, and
> using KrystalShaper as the primary crystal builder.
>
> This is a crystal of apophyllite. The coloured variety is
> Fluorapophyllite-(K).
> (...)

Hey Thomas, it looks good!

I agree with Bald Eagle that a cleaner render would be nice, but of course that
would drive up the render time, should you wish to increase the number of
samples. I mean, you're using scattering media + caustics, and we all know how
that goes.

How long did this take to render? The file name says 004d, so I really hope it
wasn't 4 days ':/

I'd like to discover a cheap and realistic way to add internal fractures to
mineral renders. Apophyllite is one of those minerals prone to being found in a
fractured state. I have two ideas in mind, but both are rather expensive: 1)
height fields intersecting not only each other, but also the crystal shape
(which is itself an intersection); or 2) isosurfaces. Both can be very, very
slow. Sometimes I wish media had an ior block.

Is there an online POV-Ray render farm anywhere? :P

Apophyllite is one of those minerals I'd love to find. Since it occurs in basalt
vesicles, one might think it'd be everywhere, but finding any mineral-bearing
cavities is already a challenge...

Sam