POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A head full of hair : Re: A head full of hair Server Time
25 Apr 2024 21:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A head full of hair
From: Samuel B
Date: 26 Sep 2021 20:20:00
Message: <web.61510d06467a8aa7cb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 26/09/2021 om 00:00 schreef Samuel B.:
> > But when looking at the binary yesterday on my hard drive I decided to
> > do a couple virus scans... All was good on the Windows Defender front,
> > but when I scanned it on VirusTotal, one of its engines flagged it as
> > malware :S
>
> You may want to have a second opinion on this.

I might try downloading the AV you recommended, but it's just another point of
reference, and it may miss something.

The thing I like about VirusTotal is that it's not just a /second/ opinion, it's
a 3rd, 4th, etc. It gathers results from many different virus scanners. But I
really wonder about some of its results. Windows Defender never seems to fail
me, though. (Key word: 'seems.')

I was able to find the original source for the program, so I can now recompile
it. But the program I used to compile it originally was Code::Blocks. I just
downloaded the new version, but when I scanned its installer, VirusTotal
reported it as potentially containing malware! Gah. There was only one engine
that engine detected trouble (not MaxSecure this time), but how can I ever be
sure of anything at all? Argh :( Maybe VirusTotal isn't too careful when it
comes to choosing its virus-detection engines?

> > Blobs, meshes, whatever. The material should work with anything.
>
> Ah, ok, a /material/. Somehow I thought the physical stuff. :-) However,
> anyway, that would be highly interesting indeed.

Ya, I think it will look good but I need to make a suitable showcase model
before implementing the material.

Sam