POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows XP compatibility : Re: Windows XP compatibility Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:39:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows XP compatibility
From: jr
Date: 20 Jul 2021 08:10:00
Message: <web.60f6b992d5a68e3b5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"HKarsten" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi jr, :)
> If I would have a system, small enough, this would be an option.
> Several times I tried to virtualized my System. Sometimes the drivers are poor
> and  my 3D-Programms, like 3DS-Max, or Maya does not run properly or other
> things happened.

persist.  ;-)  VmWare definitely, and VirtualBox etc likely too, "can do".

> And I still didn't find a host-system, small enough for not being in the way.
> So: as long as my System can run natively, it turned out to be the best way.
> BTW: my 2003 is a pure offline System. It never was connected to the internet
> for even a fragment of a second, and it never will be.

good policy.  even for current systems, in some cases.

> For being connected, I an using Puppy-linux:
> distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy
>
> Its running from RAM, so if it's going to be compromised, next time booting it
> has forgotten all about it.

yes, I like (the development of) "live" distributions, they all share that
advantage.

> For my 3D-Printer the sclicer is not running on XP for example, and I have to
> use my Linux for it. It's pain in the as to do a reboot just for slicing!
>
> Having a PovRay as plain-static cygwin-exe would be the much nicer way, instead
> of rebooting the machine.

I probably misunderstand, but why then not compile that "slicer" (and or povray)
under cygwin?

regards, jr.