POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image_map memory use-- question : Re: image_map memory use-- question Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:00:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map memory use-- question
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 Jul 2021 12:00:00
Message: <web.60ec66687da66539d98418916e066e29@news.povray.org>

> Simply evaluating an image-based pigment will not create an additional
> reference.
> POV-Ray doesn't cache image files, so you should be fine with what
> you're trying to do, even without any extra precautions.

That's all good news; thanks.
(Just to add a note: This particular usage...
#declare MY_IMAGE = pigment{image_map{...}}
does seem to cache the image_map for use later, without an apparent(?) increase
in memory when it is called multiple times in a scene...which is quite useful!
But it's a different construct from what we are talking about here.)

> There are a few exceptions to this:
> - Some data will be cached because it is expected to re-occur later, and
> is sufficiently complicated to process that it would be a waste to do it
> all over again.
>
> An example for the latter would be font files...

Just as a matter of curiosity: Is there a method within the SDL of purging even
such 'persistent' things from memory? I suspect not.