POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 Server Time
29 Mar 2024 02:57:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1
From: jr
Date: 11 Jul 2021 14:00:00
Message: <web.60eb3146b74fb8af5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Am 11.07.2021 um 18:53 schrieb jr:
>
> > downloaded the 'povunix' as recommended, was surprised the archive unpacks in
> > the cwd rather than in a sub-directory.
>
> If you can help wrangling the `tar` and/or `gzip` command to rectify
> that, I'd appreciate it.
>
> We're currently using the following sequence of commands to bundle the
> files we want:
>
> tarfile="povunix-v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}.tar"
> # Bundle relevant portions of the original source tree, making sure
> # to exclude interim products placed there by the prebuild process.
> tar -chWf "${tarfile}"          \
>    --anchored                    \
>    --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
>    --exclude="unix/prebuild*"    \
>    --exclude="unix/scripts*"     \
>    --exclude="platform/windows"  \
>    --exclude="vfe/win"           \
>    doc platform source unix vfe  \
>    LICENSE README.md changes.txt revision.txt
> # Add everything created by the prebuild process, except for some
> # interim products created by the prebuild process.
> # (Note that some files may have already been added by the previous
> # command, so we're using `-u` instead of `-r` to avoid duplicates.)
> tar -uhWf "${tarfile}"          \
>    --anchored                    \
>    --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
>    --exclude="configure.ac"      \
>    --exclude="bootstrap"         \
>    ${prebuild_made}
> # Compress bundle into proper tarball
> gzip "${tarfile}"
>
> where `prebuild_made` is a list of files detected as having been created
> by `unix/prebuild.sh`.

had not known '--anchored', interesting.  I guess simplest would be just
repacking, something like (any typos mine):

tarfile="povunix-v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}.tar"
# Compress bundle into proper tarball

mkdir v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}
( cd v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION} ; tar -xf ../$tarfile )
rm -f $tarfile
tar $tarfile ${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION} && sync
gzip "${tarfile}"
rm -fr ${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}

> > (in which scenario is building from "Source code (tar.gz)" still preferred?)
>
> In the one where you're building for a non-Unix platform but have a ZIP
> file format phobia, I guess.
>
> The "Source code (tar.gz)" and "Source code (zip)" assets are added
> automatically by GitHub, whether we want it to or not.

ah, ok.  thanks.

regards, jr.