POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granites Intermezzo : Re: Granites Intermezzo - using crackle solid pattern Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:54:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granites Intermezzo - using crackle solid pattern
From: Mr
Date: 5 May 2021 12:15:00
Message: <web.6092c3fd9461b36b6adeaecb3f378f2@news.povray.org>
> I think this is a perfect alternative to all the preceding!
>
> The basic pigment_pattern used for the mineral grains as well as for the
> mask controlling the size distribution through the rock, is crackle
> solid. It has the advantage to well-discriminate between the different
> minerals, better than all the previous experiments. I found this out by
> examining a couple of traditional POV-Ray stone textures, more
> especially T_Stone_28.inc, and tweak from there before substituting the
> results here.
>
> I think that the "blurry" aspect that Mr was complaining about, came in
> fact from the size distribution within the mask pattern. It may still
> exist a bit, but I developed a mask with less diffuse transitions.
>
> --
> Thomas

This sure looks good. I guess my trouble with this scale and contrast/definition
is that I must be loosing track of what context the current image you show is
made for, and thus probably do not have in mind the proper type of real photo
referenced granite occurence. Once we can play with parameters and get these
various photo references side by side with the renders thing will certainly look
fine and more versatile than if made with just one average reference.

If will it or does it already have configuration presets? something along : 1
Raw outside (worn out with slightly blurry patches) 2 raw inside (same pigment,
neater, and with normal bump) 3 polished: same as before without bump and with
slight mirror reflection?

What troubles me, with the scale is that initial picture I saw ad red flakes
around 1cm size while this frosted has rather 1mm... can the first one still be
made easily?