POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Floating - WIP : Re: Floating - WIP Server Time
3 May 2024 00:58:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floating - WIP
From: RATH, CHRISTOPHER A
Date: 19 Apr 2024 10:22:56
Message: <66227e40$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/18/2024 8:08 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "RATH, CHRISTOPHER A" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>
>> The trees are isosurfaces using a cone function with noise added in to
>> get the layers of branches.  I can add some noise to the slope function
>> that drives the main shape and perturb the central access as well.  I
>> was surprised, though, by how nice they look with so little effort.
>
> Those are _isosurfaces_??!
> That's amazing.
>
> I'm glad you share your WIPs as things develop.
> You have a lot of interesting approaches, and your scene turn out really well!
>
> - BE

Isosurfaces are my go-to for most of the elements in my scenes, unless
they are too far away for surface texture to be noticeable.  In close-up
views, I never find that just using normals gives me the look that I
want, whereas I have complete control with an isosurface.

I pay for this, though, as my scenes tend to render pretty slowly...

--
-- Chris R