POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3-D printing via 3D SLICER app-- step by step : Re: 3-D printing via 3D SLICER app-- step by step Server Time
3 May 2024 01:56:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3-D printing via 3D SLICER app-- step by step
From: Ilya Razmanov
Date: 8 Apr 2024 03:54:18
Message: <6613a2aa$1@news.povray.org>
On 08.04.2024 1:46, Kenneth wrote:

> Yep, I'm beginning to see the problems now-- even the most fundamental one of:
> What should each image pixel represent as a triangle conversion? One triangle?
> Multiple ones? POV-ray's internal height_field-from-image algorithm uses 4
> neighboring pixels to create... two triangles. A similar scheme may or may not
> be appropriate, I don't know.
Hehehe, as I've told once already, in my simple img2mesh program:

https://github.com/Dnyarri/img2mesh

I use 1 pixel to produce 4 triangles ;-) That is, it replaces 1 pixel
with a pyramid of 4 triangles. No slow and memory-hungry tesselation but
perfect match of pyramid's corners pretty fast :-)

Besides, I guess resulting structure will be compatible with stl specs.
I will definitely check this out as soon as I get more spare time for
programming. If it works, it will mean that at least I know how to write
stl so I may turn to thinking of main task finally ;-)

Ilyich the Toad
https://dnyarri.github.io/